Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Zeus of the Sluice
Joined
·
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw it at a truck show. I walked pass this truck with a LOW flat bed and thought, "WTF?"

just had to crawl under :D







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,441 Posts
sorta looks like one of those ZF axles that were under chevy 1 tons used by the military to move planes around
 

·
Zeus of the Sluice
Joined
·
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was a 1949 Peterbuilt. go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,438 Posts
Wow, thats weird looking almost as if its an optical illusion in the pic of the bed. Looks like the bed is lower than the center part of the hubs.
 

·
Zeus of the Sluice
Joined
·
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
unimogken said:
Wow, thats weird looking almost as if its an optical illusion in the pic of the bed. Looks like the bed is lower than the center part of the hubs.
no shit! thats what caught my eye. my first thougt was "some kinda reverse portal?"


and ya, I would love to see that R&P too :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,545 Posts
fc187 said:
no shit! thats what caught my eye. my first thougt was "some kinda reverse portal?" "front wheel drive?"


and ya, I would love to see that R&P too :beer:
Its prolly a worm drive. :flipoff2:

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
fc187 said:
no shit! thats what caught my eye. my first thougt was "some kinda reverse portal?" "front wheel drive?"


and ya, I would love to see that R&P too :beer:
Look at the second pic (I enlarged it 400%). It is some sort of reverse portal. The springs are located at the centreline of the rim with the axle halfway between the centreline and bottom of the rim. Also the diff carrier looks upsidedown in the second pic and the filler plug looking in a low position in the first pic.

Nev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
it IS a kind of reversed portal!!

i think the ring is horizontal, and the axle has someting like a pinion.
the portals would need something to correct the "laufrichtung" (so the axles both turn in the same direction)

kindof hard to explain in english but maby u know what i mean :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
sid said:
it IS a kind of reversed portal!!

i think the ring is horizontal, and the axle has someting like a pinion.
the portals would need something to correct the "laufrichtung" (so the axles both turn in the same direction)

kindof hard to explain in english but maby u know what i mean :D
"laufrichtung" = Direction of travel :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
sweden said:
So you DO have portals over there! -So this is why you havent you told us (Euros)?! :flipoff2:
Where there be Mogs, there be portals :D

Some guys here in OZ were/are playing with volvo protals but very rare. Due to the high cost here, lack of parts and no support, not many get into (nor afford) portals. Most of the Mogs here are either military or the mining companies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,782 Posts
Considering the age of it, I'd almost bet on it being a worm drive axle.
As for ground chearance, DAMN, trucks with lo-pro tires usually have the diff nearly dragging on the ground... Considering that it's a portal at that... Imagine it had some normal height tires on there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,489 Posts
82F100SWB said:
Considering the age of it, I'd almost bet on it being a worm drive axle.
As for ground chearance, DAMN, trucks with lo-pro tires usually have the diff nearly dragging on the ground... Considering that it's a portal at that... Imagine it had some normal height tires on there...
Can't be a worm drive . . . The input shaft looks to be centered on the carrier. A worm drive input would have to be offset to either the top or bottom.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top