Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to toy's and I searched and could not find anythig, sooooooo this is what's going on..........

1st it's an 84 SR5.

Going about 75-80 down the freeway I noticed that the brake light and the check engine light would flash together for awhile then go away:confused: Any idea's would be great.

Oh yea my brake fluid is full:D

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mattb said:
Sounds like your alternator is starting to go bad.
Really? That would suck. I also have a over heating problem right now but I'll have thaqt fixed today. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
On my 1991 its the alternator if the Battery and break light is on. not the check eng. light,
Is it different in earlyer years?

·
Registered
535 Posts
my 83 sr5 does the same..

the check engine and brake lights go on together.. just kinda randomly..

it's not my alternator.. the guage shows its putting out a full 14amps, and it doesnt vary when the guage lights flash..
new battery..
lots of brake fluid..

i figured it was a wireing problem somewhere.. something is loose, but havent bothered to really track it down. it doesnt seem to affect anything, engine runs fine when its doing it.. so i don't know...

let me know if you find it!

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
penguinofdoom said:
my 83 sr5 does the same..
i figured it was a wireing problem somewhere.. something is loose, but havent bothered to really track it down. it doesnt seem to affect anything, engine runs fine when its doing it.. so i don't know...

let me know if you find it!
Yip Mine too, it does not seem to effect anything.... I just don't like flashing red lights... must be an aircraft thing:D And I'll let you know....

Very likely the alternator or connection to it.
I'll try to re-seat the wires tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My 85 22re had the same symptoms. Led to a last minute alternater change in the Napa auto parts parking lot on the way to the trail.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Check the charging wire that is mounted to the top of your alternator (the thick one that goes to the battery). The heat likes to rot out the insulation and wire until only a few strands are left. It'll still give you good voltage at the battery if you're checking it there. Mine did this exact thing last month after a new alternator. Thought I got a crappy rebuild, but turned out to be a rotten wire.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pmurf1 said:
Check the charging wire that is mounted to the top of your alternator (the thick one that goes to the battery). The heat likes to rot out the insulation and wire until only a few strands are left. It'll still give you good voltage at the battery if you're checking it there. Mine did this exact thing last month after a new alternator. Thought I got a crappy rebuild, but turned out to be a rotten wire.
Cool I'm about to go out and look around... It did it to me again this morning when I dropped of my Son at school. This time I saw the batt gage fluctuate a tad while blinking.

·
Registered
609 Posts
if it seems to be charging and you haven't noticed the headlights going dim at night when it happens, then it might be a relay by the fuse box under the dash. Happens a lot on older toys

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
denver d said:
if it seems to be charging and you haven't noticed the headlights going dim at night when it happens, then it might be a relay by the fuse box under the dash. Happens a lot on older toys
Thanks I'll check that out too:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check your engine ground wires there are 2
then check the oil sending unit wire:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts