Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to run the steering column, power brakes, later clutch master, carb linkage, pedal aseembly, etc from my 1977 donor fj40 in my 1965 FJ45. Seemd like the easiest way to do this was to section the driver's side 1/3 of the '77 firewall into the '65. After talking to Jeremiah Profitt about this several times (he assured me it was a no brainer swap) I bit my nails, and the body shop guy and I lit into it. As it turns out, it is an easy swap, and all the ribs rolled into the floor and everything line up just right.

Before pic of 65 tub, and 77 section to swap in...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After eyballing the two pieces to see where the graft could best be made, we cut the hole! I had cut the graft piece from the 77 oversized, so after trimming it to within about 1/4" oversized in all directions, we laid it in there, and scribed the hole in the cowl onto the donor piece, made some final tweaks, and clamped her in for tigwelding.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Looks to be some mighty fine work right there. :smokin:

Shame ya never go wheelin' though. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pedal hanger drops right into to holes aready in the dash, and firewall graft. Supah!
This was the last real stumbling block to getting my 45 pickup resto rolling into high gear. Hopefully the rest of the bodywork and paint can be done in 3-4 weeks, then it comes home for wiring and finish work... :cool2:
I have about 2 weeks to decide: shoot it back the tan it was under two other coats of paint? Spring Green to match the headache rack I found for it? Or my sorta first choice, a dark hunter green that'll look real good with Ehsan's tan soft top...Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KOWBOY said:
Looks to be some mighty fine work right there. :smokin: Shame ya never go wheelin' though. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Hey, I'm getting good work done, and I thought you were supposed to be in Clayton right now, ye fawk!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have about 2 weeks to decide: shoot it back the tan it was under two other coats of paint? Spring Green to match the headache rack I found for it? Or my sorta first choice, a dark hunter green that'll look real good with Ehsan's tan soft top...Thoughts?

You know my preference, dark green with tan top. But I've always liked Dune Beige. TIG welding done by the right hands is the bee's knees. Very little grinding and crap before primer.
Really looks nice.
Ed

·
Registered
241 Posts
That is some sweet work, good job. I say green with a tan top. A tan top and a beige body would look funny, just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
looks good...mine was done the easy way...just swap entire inner firewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
FJSRULE said:
looks good...mine was done the easy way...just swap entire inner firewall.
Nothing wrong with the way Chef did his swap, just a little more work than replacing the entire fire wall.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Radd Cruisers said:
Nothing wrong with the way Chef did his swap, just a little more work than replacing the entire fire wall.
True, except many localities are real sticklers about removing the VIN tag on anything. On the older cruisers it is fastened to the pass side of the firewall.
A lot of hodrod builders will cut out the metal its fastened to and weld it in a new cowl or doorframe instead of removing it. 'Course mine is fastened to the firewall with small sheetmetal screws so who's to know. :shaking:
The TIG weld is what makes the partial swap possible. I'd be grinding turkey shit for days.
The complete swap looks great, too.
Ed

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
I think you should go Dune Beige and get Ehsan to make you an OD top to go with it. Then you can sell me the tan one! :flipoff2:

Awesome welding job. Erik and Steve aren't gonna have nearly as much fun at your expense if you actually finish the truck tho. It'll be kind of like loosing all of Treerootco's great photochops once the Orion came out. :(

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a note: the graft is not tig'd in yet in those photos, just clamped for test fitting. I gotta go back out this afternoon to burn it in...

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
KOWBOY said:
Looks to be some mighty fine work right there. :smokin:
Shame ya never go wheelin' though. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Well like I always tell my buds, I can't break it, if I don't wheel it. :flipoff2: :laughing:

·
Registered
452 Posts
my vote would be hunter green. I have a 67 that is done that color and it looks great. Mine is more of a british racing green but it's a nice deep color. With the tan top it would be excellent! mho

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Dark green with tan top. Have you considered the early med blue or pastel green? Both would look very retro and great with the tan top. Good work!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts