Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and didn't come up with much.

Who has used some form of chemical paint remover on sheet metal?

Did it work worth a darn?

What brand was it?

Where did you buy it?

I want to strip three layers of paint that all seem to be in good shape (they are sticking like crazy!). I didn't make much of a dent in it with a wire wheel on my grinder and wanted to branch out and try a different method.

Stripper is plenty expensive and from what I read very messy so I don't want to just try it out of the blue only to find out it doesn't work well.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have used various brands of 'aircraft paint stripper' or whatever they call it with fair success. The one thing that I have found makes it work much better is to cover it with plastic after you apply it to the panel you wish to strip and let it set for the specified dwel time.

You should be able to just squgee the old paint off after that, I always used bondo scrapers for that.

As stated above work in a well ventilated area and I recomend gloves with a LONG cuff and long sleeve shirt, long pants, closed toe shoes as well.

All that said I generally opt for having steel panels blasted or sand them and save the chemical stripper for aluminum stuff although I will use chemical stripper for hard to get to spots on steel panels.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Read the label!
The mandatory chemical warning label is the easy way to see what brand is stronger.

Manufacturers are required to use one of the following
Caution:
Warning:
Danger:
The stronger the word the more powerful the chemicals! only buy stripper with the word danger!

BTW aircraft stripper is weaker! Aircraft stripper is made for soft metals and do not use high Ph additives like most all other strippers.

It is easy to remove many layers with a plastic wrap cover. Start with a cool surface and after applying a good layer of paint remover, cover with Sran wrap. The cover will slow the evaporation of methylene chloride and keep it working on your paint.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys. I read about covering the surface helping in old threads so this reinforces it.

Old Scout, any suggestions as to manufacturer? "Aircraft Remover" made by Klean Strip seems to be the most prevalent and I had a hunch that it wouldn't be the best bang for the buck.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have used metal stripper by kleen strip to remove epoxy based paints. usually within a few minutes the paint starts to bubble up. You can try citrius strip by kleen strip but that takes longer and it doesn't burn your skin when you touch it. You can get both of these from home depot or lowes. Buy chemical gloves and wear safety glasses when you use this stuff. The metal stripper will destroy latex gloves in a few minutes and you can feel the burning almost immediately.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I got a sample of Soy*Gel - http://www.franmar.com/ - in at the office (architect) and tried it on a few architectural type situations - old paint, varnish, shellac, etc... Amazing how well it worked!

Then for the heck of it, I smeared some on an old body panel I had laying around just for shits and giggles. I never imagined that it would do much of anything but fifteen to twenty minutes later it was bubbling the paint right off! Took it right down to the primer! And without all the nasty smells and caustic effects of the usual strippers. I'd still wear gloves and use some common sense, but I'm sold on the stuff.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
I got a sample of Soy*Gel - http://www.franmar.com/ - in at the office (architect) and tried it on a few architectural type situations - old paint, varnish, shellac, etc... Amazing how well it worked!

Then for the heck of it, I smeared some on an old body panel I had laying around just for shits and giggles. I never imagined that it would do much of anything but fifteen to twenty minutes later it was bubbling the paint right off! Took it right down to the primer! And without all the nasty smells and caustic effects of the usual strippers. I'd still wear gloves and use some common sense, but I'm sold on the stuff.
62.00 a Gallon!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies all. I think I will look for some of the Jasco brand remover and if I can't find that, probably settle on the Aircraft Remover.

I just hope it works on this paint, I am very surprsed how well it is stuck on there!

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Thanks for the replies all. I think I will look for some of the Jasco brand remover and if I can't find that, probably settle on the Aircraft Remover.

I just hope it works on this paint, I am very surprsed how well it is stuck on there!
Well, an industrial heat gun always works too....

Just have an extinguisher nearby.....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Anything with Methylene Chloride will do the trick. Use with plenty of ventilation.
I used this chit to strip the paint off my 22' aluminum boat. I don't believe the manufacturers are allowed to sell 'the good stuff' any longer. It's a known carcenogen. And it burns when you get it on your skin....It took the topcoat off fine. But when it came to removing the primer, I had to use a brass brush and a water hose to 'flush' the zinc chromate off.

I'd have to ask...What are you stripping?

·
Registered
428 Posts
try a product called "zip-strip" its in a yellow can, we use it alot cleaning up most anything for powdercoating. we just use a razor blade scraper thing to get it all off. if you let it set long enough it will take powder off! although i realize you are using paint it will work for that too

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I used some of the aerosol Kleen Strip stuff from HD on some H2 wheels I was going to beadlock. The clear coat is pretty thick on those. Sprayed it on and let it sit and hit it with a 2500 psi pressure washer. It was down to bare in no time. The downside is it burns like hell, especially when you're pressure washing with shorts and sandals. Consider using a pressure washer, it makes stripping a lot easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts