Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally my header glows red. I can't find any pattern with this though. It has done it when it gets warmed up on a cold morning and also after driving on the freeway for a half hour or so. But i have no overheating problems. Since there are no signs (I.E. temp rising) i don't know when it's doing it untill i get out and notice it's red. I know this can't be good for my head or any other parts near the header.
I've read about the 22r overheating problem with the thermostat being hit by cooled coolant and shutting, does this problem exist on 20r's and could it be causing my temp. sending unit to be sending the wrong temp?
any input would be grateful thanks.
~Brian

·
Registered
275 Posts
First off, does your temp gauge work? Cause I have run my 4 speed 22R at 80 mph for an hour and a half straight (3500RPM) and it didn't even come close to glowing. A glowing header sounds a bit warm to me, I would maybe consider checking your air/fuel ratio and maybe change the octane of fuel you are using

·
Registered
695 Posts
There are 2 causes for a red header.

1. Retarded ignition timing. Since you said it only happens on occasion, maybe it is a distributor vacuum advance/retard issue.

2. Extremely lean air/fuel mixture. This is usually caused by a major vacuum leak I.E. bad PCV valve, bad carb or intake gasket, etc.

Now if you had a red convertor, you would have an extremely rich condition in which normal combustion cannot burn all the fuel entering the chambers. The extra fuel is expelled through the exhaust and collects in the convertor. A secondary combustion then takes place there causing the glowing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
it may turn red because of alot of things but it in not some thing you should worry about. my turbo would turn cherry red and i thought it was not good but it is in fact normal. the reson mine would turn red is the back pressure the turbo had. the same thing might be fore you truck and that is some thing causeing back pressure, like the cat, or a bad/bent exaust pipe. but as for timing being to retated, or the a/f mixture to lean or rich, unless you can feel it lose power it probly would not matter.

Cliff

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tuck-
My temp gauge works fine.

chad-
I've never had a red convertor so i don't think its my air fuel mixture.
I'm almost positive it's the timing. But it's set to 8* BTDC, like it asks for. Is there a better setting than that?

e cliff-
I can't tell if it's losing power because im under geared right now(35's with stock gears) so it seems like I have no power in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts