Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i got a 79 chevy three fifty, with the 4bbl qjet. i want to keep the q-jet but i want to also keep the electric (or whatever) choke it has, because i really dont need manual choke. but the only way it seems i can keep this (little plate with two tubes that go into the manifold) is if i buy the edelbrock egr manifold, but then i have to keep all the egr crap i dont need.
or, would i be better off staying with the stock setup....but the only downside is i still dont need egr--just want to keep it simple. Anybody got any advice on how i can keep my factory choke, or convert to a diff type of choke, and still remove my EGR crap? thanks in advance for any help!

-Max

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Are you saying the choke has the "hot air" style deal where the tubes go into the manifold at the base of the carb?

The non-egr Performer has provision for this, with a block off plate if you don't need it (electric choke)

The EGR doesn't have anything to do with the choke, that's the saucer shaped deal at the rear passenger side of the manifold with two bolts in it and a vacuum hose

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet!, so the non egr performer will allow me to have the same choke i have right now....without having to put that saucer shaped egr crap on? cuz if thats what you're saying that would be sweet.....

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Black Dog said:
You can also convert a hot air style Q-Jet to the factory electric choke. It is a bolt on deal.
So to do this you just go to the parts store and pick up a new e-choke and it will bolt on? Or do you need some j/y parts to do the conversion?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Mr McGee said:

what are the advantages of that? just curious. thanks!
No real advantage if you have all the stuff to make the hot air choke work.

So to do this you just go to the parts store and pick up a new e-choke and it will bolt on? Or do you need some j/y parts to do the conversion?
Yes it just bolts on. Some of the factory ones are held together by rivets, so if the electric actuator doesn't come with the bolts, you might have to round those up. Note that it has to be a hot air style choke on the carb. The old carbs with a divorced choke can not be converted this way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.