Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped a corp. 14 in the rear of my half ton and now I am converting the front to 8 lug. Are the spindles, calipers and backing plates teh same or do I need to swap these out as well? And will a 77 Dana 44 8 lug rotor work with a 82 10 bolt 8 lug hub? All help it greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
27,668 Posts
motorcycle said:
Are the spindles, calipers and backing plates teh same or do I need to swap these out as well?
I think...that is I think you can use the calipers. The spindles and backing plates will need to be swapped.

·
Registered
139 Posts
the splindle are the same if the one you are swaping onto is a 10bolt or it is a newer dana 44.
the capilers are the same.

the rotor on a d44 8 lug is the same as a 10 bolt 8 lug.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
From 6-lug to 8-lug 10-bolt, you only need the bearing hub, rotor, and backing plate.

Also as mentioned, a newer style Dana 44 would be the same. However, some older style 44's have different size wheel bearings which would require the spindle swap also...plus those usually also had the external locking hubs.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
77 was the start year for 2nd design D44's

1st design D44:
8-lug have external bolt on locking hubs
have smaller inner wheel bearings then 2nd design/10B (and smaller spindle to mach)
calipers have 3/8" banjo bolts
pre-73 axles have 260 u-joints (dana 30 size)

2nd design D44:
both 6 & 8-lug have internal locking hubs
have the larger inner wheel bearings that 10B also use (and larger spindle to mach)
calipers have 3/8" banjo bolts
all have 297 u-joints

10B:
both 6 & 8-lug have internal locking hubs
have the larger inner wheel bearings that 2nd design D44's also use (and larger spindle to mach)
calipers have 10mm banjo bolts
all have 297 u-joints

I have heard that autolocking hubs won't work on older D44's because the stub shaft doesn't have 2 snap ring groves.

All other parts are the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts