Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After gernading my 318 I am thinking about doing a chebby 350 swap into my powerwagon. I am wondering if anybody knew of a company that sold an adapter kit to bolt my 350 to my (i believe np435) tranny.

I will probibly get flamed for this but I dont care. So....this is my reasoning....I am doing this rather than another 318 because I have a totaled 91 GMC with the 350 tbi. I have been battleing not having fuel injection for too long and I cant find a cheep fuel injection kit for the 318.... Feedback wanted

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Mopar TBI is probably easy to come by, along with the engine too. Probably easier than fabbing engine mounts.
If you must do the Chevy swap check length of input shaft. Chevy used the transmission too but the inputs may be different. You can use the Chevy bellhousing and your transmission if the inputs are the same length. The transmission bolt pattern should be the same, if not use a Chevy transmission.

·
Registered
366 Posts
bronkho31,

Not that i want to see a Cheby in a Power Wagon, but GM used NP435's, so you might want to swap the engine and tranny. Check out: Novak Info on NP435's

I'm running a 318 married to a NP435 in my M37. Just swapped out the Std NP435 for a Granny 1st NP435.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gmc came with an auto. 700r4 that is sold.
The bell housing wont work because it is an auto. But I am pretty sure I can get ahold of an older gm bell housing that is for the chevy 4speeds....hmm...

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
First, stupid idea. Second, you will not be able to use a common GM 4 speed bellhousing as the NP435 is pretty rare in GM trucks and was only used in the late '60s. Just buy a 360 out of a '89 or newer Ram and get all the TBI junk with it. They are easy to come by. Or go with a '93 and newer 360 Magnum with MPI that will out power any of the older LA series engines. Sell the GM engine to some GM guy for his buggy or something. It will probably be much cheaper in the long run to sell the GM crap and get a good Mopar engine that to bootyfab and scrounge for the parts to get a 350 to bolt to a Dodge NP435. Just my .02

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disagree about the stupid idea part. But whatever.... I forgot the gm 4 speeds are sm465's right?
I would love to keep it a dodge, for what exact reason I dont know....
Dodge parts are usually more exspensive for me and alot harder to come buy because I have a bunch of friends who race dirttrack....all use ford/gm motors.

But the bell housing seems to be the big deal here unless I can find a bell or another tranny..
Maybe ill just use my roller 302......since the bell should be easier to find.

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. I think Ford used a different diameter input bearing retainer so that could make the bellhousing not fit.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
One other thing that will need addressed is the clutch disc.The 465's have a fine 10 spline input and the Dodge 435's are fine spline.The input shaft diameter is a different also.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. I think Ford used a different diameter input bearing retainer so that could make the bellhousing not fit.
The bellhousing to tranny bolt patterns are different between the Ford and Dodges too. I asked about using a Ford 435 behind a small block mopar several years ago and everyone said it was a waste of time.

I agree with everyone who has said to just dump the GM motor and get a good running late model mopar small block. MUCH easier to deal with and it will sell much faster down the road if you decide to go a different direction.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Dodge NP435 has a 23 spline (or in some older units 10 spline) input shaft with an 8-3/8" stickout
The GM / Chevrolet NP435 has a 10 spline input shaft with a 6-1/2"

Notice the input shaft length differences.

I'm running a 68 318 and 65 NP435 (10 spline) in my M

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
The Dodge NP435 has a 23 spline (or in some older units 10 spline) input shaft with an 8-3/8" stickout
The GM / Chevrolet NP435 has a 10 spline input shaft with a 6-1/2"

Notice the input shaft length differences.

I'm running a 68 318 and 65 NP435 (10 spline) in my M
Do you have a build up thread?
I would like to check it out. There are a couple M38's down the road that I could pickup cheap. I am afraid I would end up taking everything out of my rig and building a new rig.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
ffdustyw,

No thread, but a full WEB site full of pictures and cometary. You can check out my M37 at: My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB site

Oh by the way I love your Truck (and thread)!
Thanks, I am checking it out right now.

EDIT: D*mn! that is one hell of a website. Good pictures. You need to start a thread here.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im not worried about resale....if you have seen pics of the rig u would know why.....but you all definetly have me thinking....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just a quick thought, on Peoria's craigslist there is a magnum 318 out of a Dakota for sale for 500$, plus parts because it's still in the truck. Make that guy an offer that you can afford and take every thing he will give you. Like fuel pump, computer, or maybe the whole damn truck. Then sell your chevy engine for more than you buy the Dodge engine for and be happy:D, with your new cool ass multi point fuel injection motor, post pics on pirate so we can see your new mopar power plant, in it's new loving home between the framerails of truck that is going to be wheeled.
searching craigslist thousands of miles away
:shaking:damn I'm bored

1 - 20 of 38 Posts