Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when doing the chevy axle swap on a '75 powerwagon, what mods need to be done with the steering? did you switch p/s gear box's? I can't see the original push-pull steering working with, but maybe it does?
thanks
david

·
Registered
1 Posts
A lot of people swap chevy axels into their Dodges. it's really simple the difference is in the spring width. The chevy is +/- 1". I can't remember which. And as far as the steering goes, as long as you use the chevy pitman arm, tie rod, and steering arm, it should bolt right on.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
the spring centers should be only 1/2" difference overall. the dodge is the wider of the two at 32". as far as steering goes, i think the dodge and gm use different size tapers on the stock draglinks. i'm not to sure about that one though.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
FULLSIZE said:
the spring centers should be only 1/2" difference overall. the dodge is the wider of the two at 32". as far as steering goes, i think the dodge and gm use different size tapers on the stock draglinks. i'm not to sure about that one though.
Chevy tie rod boltted right in place on my dodge. Taper looks and feels identical. Just the link betwene the drag link ends is about 3.5" too short (needs to be 7" overall)
On the other end, I have seen one tie rod end installed to make up the difference, and it seemed to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts