Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Who?????
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you know already, I had a little accident over the winter while working on my truck. I was working on replacing my front suspension. While backing up my trailer to load my front axle on it, I ended up bumping the truck off the jackstands, bending my frame to the point where I didn't feel comfortable continuing the build. Here is a link to my previous build thread.
I decided to scrap the whole project and start over with a new frame, swapping over my parts. Enough talk. On with the pics. :laughing:

I picked this frame up from a freind of mine. It was leaning against the outside wall of his shop, covered with weeds and and almost completely forgotten. It had already been shortened about 20 inches, sandblasted, and painted this nice blue. It was a perfect starting point for my new build. I stripped all the original body mounts and other stuff off that I knew I would not be needing.

Beast Project 331.jpg

I beefed up the frame splice a little.

Beast Project 337.jpg

Then I painted it with POR-15

Beast Project 346.jpg

Beast Project 351.jpg

Front upper shackle hangers from ORD. I moved them forward about 2 1/2" and filled the old hole in.

Attachments

·
Who?????
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Between coats I twin sticked my 205 and replaced all the seals. The bearings all looked good.

Beast Project 347.jpg

Beast Project 350.jpg

Then I started mocking up my rear suspension. Rear springs are stock Chevy 64". ORD shackle flip and 6" heavy duty shackles. Here I am trying to determine what my shackle angle will end up like.

Beast Project 355.jpg

Beast Project 360.jpg

Beast Project 361.jpg

·
Who?????
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next it was time to start on the front suspension. Leaf springs will be stock Chevy 52" from a Blazer. I decided to leave the overloads in for now, but shorten them.

Beast Project 374.jpg

Beast Project 375.jpg

I made my front spring hangers out of 4", .25" wall square tubing.

Beast Project 377.jpg

Beast Project 380.jpg

Cut them with a torch.

Beast Project 381.jpg

·
Who?????
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I made some recovery points from 1x2x1" bar stock. These will also be holding my front bumper on.

Beast Project 405.jpg

Beast Project 407.jpg

Beast Project 410.jpg

My Dad manning the drill press. My Dad and I have gotten in alot of quality time in the shop this winter.

Beast Project 399.jpg

Checking fit and shackle angle.

Beast Project 411.jpg

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Looks like a good start! Keep up with the non-booty fab! :D

·
Who?????
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it all apart and brought it to my friends machine shop. He has a large Miller MIG there that he let me use to weld it up. While I was welding he went to work on the recovery points, punched a 1" hole and rounded the ends.

Beast Project 414.jpg

Beast Project 416.jpg

Beast Project 415.jpg

Beast Project 417.jpg

Beast Project 420.jpg

·
Who?????
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Time to slide the axles under it.

Beast Project 429.jpg

Axle specs are as follows.

Rear: Shaved 14 Bolt FF. 4.56 gears, Detroit locker, disc brake conversion from Ruff Stuff. Diff cover from GLO.

Front: Dana 60. 4.56 gears, welded. 35 spline outers, Poly Performance drive flanges. Heavy duty diff cover from Shawn at GLO. I dont have any pics yet. I'll add some later.

·
Who?????
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then we dropped in the motor. 454 converted to propane. Engine builder estimated 450+ hp, 500 lb-ft torque. It has never been dyno'd so I'm not sure exactly how much HP it has. It was impressive in my last truck. I built it for low end torque. Comp cam extreme 4x4 cam, Edelbrock Performer intake. 9.5 CR. I originally built this motor for gas. Down the road I may bump the compression up to better compliment the propane.

Beast Project 432.jpg

Got it loaded on my trailer to haul to my friends shop with a lift.

Beast Project 444.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Awesome build I wish i could do mine over from the frame up like you. Two things. 1. I see your running 15in wheels what backspacing? Im pretty sure you have to grind on the calipers, lets see some pics of that. 2. not sure what terrian your truck will see but if any rocks, while you are this deep in your buildup do a doubler! I dont have one yet but I sure wish I did. Cant wait to see more Happy Building -Ryan

·
Registered
937 Posts
And a cool ass trailer too!

·
Who?????
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all for the compliments! I always appreciate comments and suggestions. :beer:

Awesome build I wish i could do mine over from the frame up like you. Two things. 1. I see your running 15in wheels what backspacing? Im pretty sure you have to grind on the calipers, lets see some pics of that. 2. not sure what terrian your truck will see but if any rocks, while you are this deep in your buildup do a doubler! I dont have one yet but I sure wish I did. Cant wait to see more Happy Building -Ryan
The wheels I'm running have 4.25" backspacing. I didn't want it to be any wider than it needed to be. Here are some pics of how I ground the calipers.

First I put a wheel on to see how far in I needed to start grinding. Then I scored a couple lines like this.

Beast Project 061.jpg

Then I ground in a cross hatch pattern. It seemed to help get an even depth and also speed up the grinding. Cut in, then knock the tops off.

Beast Project 065.jpg

Finished grind.

Beast Project 056.jpg

My truck will see a mix of rocks and mud. A doubler would be nice but it just isn't in the funds right now. I looked into a Lo-max also but couldn't swing it. Next year I plan on lowering the axle gears to 5.38. We'll see how things work.

·
Who?????
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is where the fun starts. I spent alot of time looking for a body to put on my frame. I wanted something different than a pickup cab. I wanted a full removeable top so I started looking at Blazers, but then I would have to spend time narrowing the front. I was looking for something different than most people had. Something unique. Then I found this on Craigslist a week and a half ago. Chevy purists are going to hate me for this, and I'm sure the Jeep guys aren't going to like it either, but what do you do?

1972 Jeep Commando
304 V8, 83,000 original miles
Original AM radio with single center dash speaker still works.

Beast Project 435.jpg

Beast Project 438.jpg

The guy I bought it from had started restoring it and had lost interest. It is fairly clean.

Beast Project 439.jpg

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I dunno if I wouldnt just swap everything over to the new frame?? I believe the 72s have a fully boxed frame, Id rather have that than the chevy truck frame. I also think it would be a whole lot easier dealing with motor mounts, leaf spring mounts, and tranny crossmembers than dealing with body mounts, floor mounts, radiators, etc. One cool thing................I HATE the bullnose front, a CJ front end will mount nicely on that 72 (sorry Jeep purists!!!!:flipoff2:) I wanted to do a 1972 for years, but every one I looked at was a basketcase.....nice find

1 - 20 of 297 Posts