Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got a tow rig and the engine is shot so I am thinking about swapping in a cummins. I have done a pretty exhaustive search on the turbo diesel register and really haven't gotten all that much good information. The truck is an 84 crewcab and I would like to drop a cummins and a 6sp in and I just want to know if there are any issues that anyone knows of. I know that I'll have to make engine and tranny mounts and stuff like that but any other information or leads to someone else that has done this swap would be greatly appreciated.

-ben

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
When I was looking for a rig last fall I saw a '79 Chevy 1 ton crew cab with a cummins on ebay ... it was located in S Oklahoma. I don't know how long they keep completed auctions on line, but you might try a completed auction search and if you find it contact the seller for info.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I'd pull as much off the donor truck as possible!

What year are you gonna pull the motor from? Personally, I'd go with the simpler 12v motors... Less electronics, too!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
haven't decided but the 12v are a lot cheaper than the 24v. So I'll probably get a 12v. Is there any difference between the 12v and 24v at the output? I am thinking about getting a nv4500 or one of those new fangled 6spds and I don't think there would be any issues bolting these up to a 12v but thought I'd ask. Anyone have any sites of this swap on a chey there must be someone that has seen this before.

-ben

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I am sure the rated HP is higher on the 24v motors, not suire how much, but I have always felt the 12v's pull a LOT better than the 24s do.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry meant output shaft to the tranny. Should have asked if you can bolt a new tranny onto an old engine so you can have a 5 or 6sp with the 12v. 24v definately have a higher horsepower rating but 12v are easier and cheaper to bomb and there are lots of 12v daily drivers running 350 hp and 750 lb torque. Point taken though.

-ben

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
There is a company that sells cummins into ford conversion kits. You might try them and see is they have any chevy motor mounts, etc.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Here is the link..

http://www.fordcummins.com

Get a 96 to 98 12 valve motor with the 5 speed (NV4500) transmission. These motors had 215HP injection pumps (P7100) which can be turned up power wise MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more than a
24 valve VP44 injection pump. In short, you can turn up much more power for less money and have more reliability than a 24 valve motor.

Hope this helps..

Charles

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
chumly2071 said:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36258&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

is a repower using a cummins 8C engine. another option , if you want more power than a dodge/cummins.
It would be a lot of chopping to fit that into a 4WD and I don't think it would fit into a 2wd without changing the front suspension to a solid axle and leafs. A NVG 4500/5600 wouldn't live for long behind this motor even at its lowest power calibration so you would need a Fuller FS-5306A/RT-6609 to live any sort of life behind 8.3C.

What everybody else said - a 94-98 Dodge/Cummins B with the P-7100 injection pump and the 0.0105 injector orifice used on 96-98 manuals to make the power upgrades easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts