Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 Toyota swb, soon to have these >>>>Caprice L99 4.3 v8, nv4500, Stak III 5.44:1, Marlin springs, Sky full width hanger. I am in the planning stages of the build up on it, still gathering all the parts befor I start.
I am thinking about doing a cut down Dana 44 swap in to it..

I know the "Keep it all Toyota!" and the "Get a Dana 60!" comments are
comming....:flipoff2:

The reason for the 44 and not a 60 is the simple fact that I have a truck load of the D44 front axles piled up at my shop beacuse I am a Chevy nut as much as I love to play with my Toys. another reason is unlike out on the West Coast Toyotas are hard to get parts for at the junk yards in TX & LA and if you do find parts for them you have to give up your left nut to pay for them. Sense this will be the first axle I have cut down just wanted some pointers from some of the DIY guys here.. I have a set of chrome moly inners from a Scout II that am plannning to use in it. Another goal is to keep it so i dont have to have custome axles built for it. I am how ever gonna have the set of Chevy - moly axles that are currently in the housing cut down for spares.this axle came out of my other truck when I decided it was time for a D60 in it. I already have a 62" 14bolt for the rear from a bread truck and that is roughly what I sould end up with on the front. Keeping the Chevy outers to match the 8 X 6.5 lug rear.

Chevy69.0"-Scout II 3.22"-Scout II 3.62"= 62.16"

I have it mapped out pretty well so far but only in my head and on paper so any advise you guys can lend would be great...I'll try to get some pics of this up but my camera got "backed over " :mad3: by my buddy ":pinky:" on the shop floor :shaking:

Thanks Guys !

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
If you're gonna use the sky's kit it makes it cake. I say leave it fullwidth and don't cut it down. here's some pics of one I built and sold with the sky's kit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Only 2?? :stirthepot: There has to be more out there.

In my area they have a fit if you have really obvious mods made to your truck and they hound you even if it is on the trailer behind your tow rig. So leaving them full length is out of the quesation but cutting them down to crusier axle length and running a shallow offset would not draw that much attention. you know keep at least half of the tire tucked.

Thanks to both of you for the pics. Gets my wheels turning even more..

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
You don't need to buy any used parts to keep it toy...

x2 on the 30 spline longs and get some highsteer.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
dont cut the axle down leave it full width they look better uncut

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
never been done

d44 cause you have a bunch????????

/I have a 44 and I'll be getting alloy USA axles and ctm's
I would want a bunch of crappy stock 20 year old spares even if they were free, lol

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,551 Posts
I never broke my stock D44 shafts with a 22RE, 5.38's and 35's. This was with an auto, though.

I went to Alloys and Long 300M joints when I went to 37's. Going duals, too.

Original poster said he has Scout D44 chromo inners, though.

·
Premium Member
17,818 Posts
I went with a dana 44 because I had it, and I knew that I'd be going 60 some day. The way I set it all up I can just swap the brackets in a weekend when I nut up and get the 60.

Just saying is all:flipoff2:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I never broke my stock D44 shafts with a 22RE, 5.38's and 35's. This was with an auto, though.

I went to Alloys and Long 300M joints when I went to 37's. Going duals, too.

Original poster said he has Scout D44 chromo inners, though.

I got 42 iroks,5:13's and a 5.0L...I'm not hard on things, but stock axles.............ah no:grinpimp:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Yeah...but does it run? :flipoff2:
it does right now, but not for long!:laughing:

I got the willys body off this weekend, yes I worked on my junk beiefly:smokin:
sold the jeep chassis today

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not building a Trailer Queen Jungle Gym. :shocked: The law in my parts has a little bit of a problem with 4 - 37" boggers hanging totaly out from under the truck. And the 22re that was in it gave up after 300k and its 5th head gasket so it now has an L99 4.3L v8, NV 4500 and a stak sitting there waiting for it. I know what a v8 will do to Toy axles. :nuke: and yes do have a set of brand new Scout D44 chro-mo inners and Chevy chro-mo outters. I am going with the 8 lug stuff so i dont have to buy but one set of "Play Tires" for both of my trucks I can just have one set of 35" ATs for each and my boggers for off road. My other is my DD an 85 Chevy SWB on a pair of locked 4.88 D60s, 203/205 doubler(thinking about adding another 203:evil:), SM 465, and an Port injected 6"rod SB Chevy. The D44 I am cutting down came out of my 85 Chevy when I put in the 60 so I am pretty sure it will hold up to the 220 hp of the L99 v8 and 37" boggers. so if you have any tips on the cutting process or pics of yours cut down lets have them.. the Toy will get the 60s when the Chevy gets Rockwells you see where I am going with this hehehehe... :flipoff2: Both or the trucks live most of there lives with 35's on them and they do me well i had 39.5's on the Chevy for a while but I could not get any where with them that the 35/37's would not take me..

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
i've broken plenty of 44 shafts. i was running a juiced up 350 in my old truck. chromo's and ctms or 300 long joints are the way to go if you like to play hard with a 44. seabass did you get the body off the runner yet?

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
i've broken plenty of 44 shafts. i was running a juiced up 350 in my old truck. chromo's and ctms or 300 long joints are the way to go if you like to play hard with a 44. seabass did you get the body off the runner yet?
just got the jeep body off, 4 runner body next, got a coil coming for my gas compressor, then I can use my plasma and off with the runna body in pieces:D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Bullshit.

Can't be an accurate representation of seabass's rig without a few jackstands holding it up:flipoff2:
funny guy:flipoff2:

here it is, on a spare tire and cardboard boxs, will that do?

I think I'll install a lift kit, it might drag on the driveway:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

and for tech, do I go super lift or sky jacker????????????

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts