Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dana 60 out of a 86 1 ton chevy pickup. Would this be a good axle to swap in. I thought I read somewhere saying you want the kingpin syle? this has the ball joints?

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Sure its a great swap into WHAT!!????!!!!

Are you sure it has ball joints? I pulled my D60 from an 86 and it was very king pin.
Make sure it isnt a one ton truck that someone already robbed the 60 and replaced with an 8 lug 10 bolt or D44 (thats what I did)

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Yes a chevy 60 makes for a good 60 to put in a jeep. King pin or ball joint each have their +'s and would prefer a ball joint one but most prefer a kingpin.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its going into my 76 cj5. Replacing my scout 44 soa. I talked to the guy from the junkyard and he said is was ball joint. I was just wondering which was better the kingpin or ball joint. Why do you like the ball joint better?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
There is no such thing as a ball joint chevy 60 they are all kingpin. So I wouldn't doubt it that it has been switched to an 8 lug 44 then it would be ball joint.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
66CJdean said:
Yes a chevy 60 makes for a good 60 to put in a jeep. King pin or ball joint each have their +'s and would prefer a ball joint one but most prefer a kingpin.
what did you mean by kingpin or ball joint have their +'s ect?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
It seems that people like the kigpin style because it is strong and easy to mount histeer arms on. The reason I like balljoint is it is not as sloppy as the kingpin style and you can mount the shocks on the "C" so that gets them another 2" or more out there and that is a big deal to me. I run a kingpin 60 and would like to go to a ball joint one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts