Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has an 06 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD automatic. I have never dealt with chevy diesels so I am totally new to the game. He has 4" exhaust and cold air intake already installed. What would you guys recommend? Is there a good forum for Chevy diesels?

Thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have the same truck. I used a Bully Dog programmer trying to get better mileage. The trip computer shows a lot more mileage gain than my pocket calculator. I think part of the way it "improves" mileage is by recalculating consumption more optimistically. The power gains are very significant in the higher settings, but I never run it on those settings since I'm only interested in better mileage. Overall, I don't think I'm saving enough fuel to pay for the programmer.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I have a friend that has an 06 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD automatic. I have never dealt with chevy diesels so I am totally new to the game. He has 4" exhaust and cold air intake already installed. What would you guys recommend? Is there a good forum for Chevy diesels?

Thanks
dieselplace.com kirk

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
x2 on dp.com, learned so much there since getting my Dirty Max in November...I went with the PPE, love it...but a lot of the guys swear by EFI Live

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
EFILive.

A friend of mine attended a tuning class in WI specifically for the DMaxes and is reputable enough in the area that the local dealership is having him tune trucks for them. He claims that you can get mid 20s for mileage out of them fairly easily with a good tune.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EFILive.

A friend of mine attended a tuning class in WI specifically for the DMaxes and is reputable enough in the area that the local dealership is having him tune trucks for them. He claims that you can get mid 20s for mileage out of them fairly easily with a good tune.
It doesn't say anything about diesel engines vehicles on their site. That setup is gas only.

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha... yeah. I guess I missed that one. How much computer knowledge do you need to use these? The guy who owns the truck isn't very computer literate.

·
Registered
385 Posts
haha... yeah. I guess I missed that one. How much computer knowledge do you need to use these? The guy who owns the truck isn't very computer literate.
I think you need a fair amount of patience and a fair comfort level with a computer to make a tune with EFILive. You may get a tune from the vendor that you buy EFILive from to get you started though. I don't own it yet but am thinking about it.

I've been running a Hypertech programmer and it seems to work alright, nothing earth shattering but have noticed some mileage gains.

Diablo Sport and PPE make a pretty decent programmer and John Kennedy does nice work as well from what I've heard.

·
Registered
160 Posts
EFI Live or PPE....

Both are gonna toast that trany though in the hotter programs.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
EFI

mine is a 2002 LB7

mine is tuned with it and it works great. I'm running around 480rwhp (about 600hp/900ft/lbs) and it's a DD that way. I run a lesser tune for towing so I don't just give fuel away and don't have to worry about EGTs.

I also have a Suncoast III Allison :grinpimp:

·
Registered
792 Posts
EFILive.

Not busting your nuts, but stock they will achieve mid twenties(highway mpg of course). Now tell me WHY IN THE FAWK people will spend a few hundred (maybe more) to achieve the same thing. If I am going to give you my heard earned cash, you better gaurantee at LEAST 30 mpg out of my dmax.

Till then, programmers can lick my ass.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Not busting your nuts, but stock they will achieve mid twenties(highway mpg of course). Now tell me WHY IN THE FAWK people will spend a few hundred (maybe more) to achieve the same thing. If I am going to give you my heard earned cash, you better gaurantee at LEAST 30 mpg out of my dmax.

That's fine, but with a tune you can make more power and retain similar or better mileage than stock. The factory must compromise on stuff because they have emissions requirements to meet among other things which can be disregarded with a real tune. ;)

Besides, I have yet to hear anyone I know that has gotten 25 mpg with a stock DMax. The guy I know claims you can get an easy 25 out of them with a good tune and have more power to boot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's fine, but with a tune you can make more power and retain similar or better mileage than stock. The factory must compromise on stuff because they have emissions requirements to meet among other things which can be disregarded with a real tune. ;)

Besides, I have yet to hear anyone I know that has gotten 25 mpg with a stock DMax. The guy I know claims you can get an easy 25 out of them with a good tune and have more power to boot.
:smokin:

·
Registered
783 Posts
24 mpg is the best ive heard several people claim. I was looking at either efi live or a ppe, went with a ppe because I didnt feel comfterble enough to make my own tunes yet. I wouldnt go above a 150hp tune on the stock tranny, and wouldnt do above 100hp tune if you dont have gauges. check out dieselplace.com its the best one imo

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
EFILive for the win.

24mpg empty highway 19 mpg pulling 7k, 533 HP 1070 ft lbs to the ground, 12 sec 1/4 mile passes all day long.

This is on my 08 Dmax LMM

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts

I only wish mine was that good,:shaking: I manage 15-16 empty in my 05 LLY empty. Pulling 7K I get around 12. I have an Edge attitude and its the same with or without:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I only wish mine was that good,:shaking: I manage 15-16 empty in my 05 LLY empty. Pulling 7K I get around 12. I have an Edge attitude and its the same with or without:rolleyes:
The worst part is that according to some dealerships and/or maybe GM, that type of mileage is what they feel is within factory specs. For some reason I've heard of a few that get really poor mileage compared to the majority of DMax fuel mileage claims.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts