Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I just bought Superior EB Alloy shafts and installed them in my EB that has the chevy disc conversion...something I forgot when ordering. Is not using the outer snap ring on a Ford stub shaft an issue. I know the stub is a bit shorter than a chevy, but I have run it twice with no issues. ARB locks fine. Are there any down sides to running this way? The housing stops the shafts from sliding in too far. I don't see a problem, but would like in put.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The biggest thing that the snap ring does is keep the spindle seal in place to help keep water and such out of there. You can run it without it but you'll have to go in and clean things out a lot more often.

Good luck.

Jack

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay now the real stupid question...where does the spindle seal go?

Hub and rotor assembly....outer bearing, nut, lock ring, nut, hub, snap ring, cap, cap screw/allen srews.

·
Premium Member
19,779 Posts
Spindle seal is on the back side of the spindle ;)

You can also use a bolt and a washer instead of the snap ring. (thread the bolt on the end of the axle)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh...you mean that seal. How does the snap ring help keep that in place? By reducing the shaft movement I assume. I don't see that helping much there....reduce wear maybe, but it shouldn't come out.

Any other reasons I shouldn't run this way?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The snap ring does help keep pressure on the seal and that keeps all the water and grunge out. A little trick I've learned over the years is to pack that seal with a liberal amount of grease (between the spindle and the seal) to create an effective water barrier;) ........Hans

1 - 6 of 6 Posts