Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my salvage yard search for components of TBI based 350's from the 87-89 era. Basically everything engine based except for the block and heads which I already have. When completed this powerplant will replace my good ol, but long in the tooth, I6 258 in my '86 Jeep CJ-7.

From some quick research I've learned these TBI engines came stock on various Blazars, Suburbans, 1500/2500/3500 trucks, C and K series and others I'm sure I'm missing. (You can see that while I've been sold on the Chevy 350 engine as the best engine for my needs, I've got a lot to learn about what they were put into.)

Two questions, both based on availability.

1. What Chevy or GMC model vehicles (with the 350 TBI) were the best sellers of this timeframe? In other words, what models am I most likely to find in my salvage yard searches? (I know it can be hot or miss, but let's go with percentages here.)

AND, second...

2. Being in California, the DMV wants me to "profile" my engine to a specific vehicle so they can test smog per their polution specs of that model even though it will be in a '86 CJ-7. Makes sense but I still don't like it.

-So- is their a particular GMC/Chevy truck that you would recommend I can set up or "profile" my rebuilt 350 TBI engine as for the DMV. I'm guessing just go with the answer in question 1, but you never know.

Thanks in advance and I'll let you know how my frame off restoration goes and what smog issues I run into with the CA DMV.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
i'm not sure if it would work but anything with a gvwr of over 8500lbs (i could be wrong on that #) doesn't need to be up to the same smog standards. '90 up are serpentine belt motors if that makes a differance to you. I'd say most likely to be in bone yards around here are burbs and K5's since they rust out and arn't as good of work trucks, otherwise they could be in anything from a 2wd 1/2 ton to a 1 ton dump and anything in between.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
BarrelRoll said:
'90 up are serpentine belt motors if that makes a differance to you. I'd say most likely to be in bone yards around here are burbs and K5's since they rust out and arn't as good of work trucks
So what would you call the serpentine belt that was in the late 80's ?

I think you will find alot more early 90's pickup trucks then you will K-5 Blazers..

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
1. I think cali will want to smog the motor to what ever the casting number breaks it down to. Ie what yearand car/truck it came out of reguardless of carb or FI.

2. You want to look for a 87-91 tbi setup out of a truck/balzer/suburban. From my research these have the easier to mod harness. Youll also want the computer from these trucks.

3. If you search for tbi* on this board you should find a bunch of info.

4. There is a vendor on here the sells kits and harnesses.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
CA smog wont let you profile any "hd" engine. Anything that came in a 3/4 ton or larger is prohibited. That being said I believe all the small blocks are mostly the same smog equipment wether 1 ton or 1/2 ton. You can get a TBI 350 from anything fullsize 87-95. If you profile an 87 1/2 ton suburban you may get higher emmision allowances since the motor had to work so much harder. 86 was I believe a feedback carb with more vacuum lines than EFI has wires. Also smog refs dont know the difference between a 305/350/383/400 or even a 420.

Charlo

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I can't imagine that Chevy sold anywhere near as many Burbs and K-5's as trucks. The bone yards here are full of trucks. Burbs and Blazers are few and far between.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts