Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So been on the hunt for a Chevy NV4500 bell housing and flywheel for my 1994 Chevy 3/4 NV4500. Having to go with the OE due to the Slave Cylinder and Starter both being on the passenger side were as the AA bell housing is a Driver side slave cylinder which would interfere with the front drive line being a driver drop. So finally found one but the guy would only sell as a package deal so I grabbed another NV4500. This one he says was out of a 93 Chevy 3/4, also has an ID tag with the date of 02 27 92 stamped on it. So leaning that the guy was correct there. Also I grabbed the AA bell housing and test fitted it on both as well as the OE one and both are identical. So that fully verifies they are the 92-94 year range case, which in turn should both be the 6.34 first gear. However i went to swap the front input shaft due to the 94 having massive grooves were the pilot bearing seats. How ever they would not swap. The 93 had a gear tooth count of 20 were as the 94 has a 23 gear tooth count.

So question is which is the actual granny low 6.34 gearing, cause I'm keeping that one and selling the other plain and simple LOL?

As for the 94 not being a 94...that one I know for certain because i pulled it from the truck myself and still have the VIN# which says a 94.

I'm leaning more towards the 94 being the 6.34 gearing versus this 93. I just picked up.

·
P.B.A.
4,337 Posts
Put in first gear rotate input one revolution and count output shaft rotations.

as far as other stuff I know there’s some differences on early Chevy nv4500’s and later. Someone posted up some stuff not that long ago. But this site sucks for searching anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are the shafts the same length? Other is for the Cummins.

634 was only offered in Chevy for a few years, difficult to find. Good luck.

Turn the input 6 times to check. Should almost make 1 turn on tail.

I used oem everything on my find, and scored a 4wd the 634, later a 2wd 5xx with a pto and pump :D. Nice setup now. So nice having hydraulics for my trailers.

My tag is gone, so turn and count is the only way to verify.

Mine came out of a 93 vin, 6 bolt joke 3/4 ton, assuming it was original, which vehicles this old, never assume.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the shafts the same length? Other is for the Cummins.

634 was only offered in Chevy for a few years, difficult to find. Good luck.

Turn the input 6 times to check. Should almost make 1 turn on tail.

I used oem everything on my find, and scored a 4wd the 634, later a 2wd 5xx with a pto and pump :D. Nice setup now. So nice having hydraulics for my trailers.

My tag is gone, so turn and count is the only way to verify.

Mine came out of a 93 vin, 6 bolt joke 3/4 ton, assuming it was original, which vehicles this old, never assume.
Yea input shafts are same length, diameter and spline count. Also the bearing retainer are identical part #'s as well as measurements.

Well one way or another I have the 6.34 gearing in one and the 5.61 gearing in the other. Fingers crossed the 4wd one is the 6.34 gearing just cause would be one less thing to re figure and all. At least I was able to source a bell housing and flywheel/clutch assembly fully in-tacked for basically free once I sell which ever one is the 5.61 gearing. Then to figure out which Cummins adapter plate mounts to the Chevy small block bell housing o_O. Thankfully QuickDraw is a great source of knowledge as well as very easy to work with.

How far out does the PTO pump stick out and all? I may wanna use the PTO for an air compressor versus mounting one on the engine.

But yea suppose I could also go back to basics and simply turn and count :geek: not sure why i didn't think of that haha

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually another difference between the two is the top cover and were the shifter comes out. On the 94 year it has 4 bolts securing it. Were as the 93 doesn't have any way of separating it, See pic below for the 93 shifter without the 4 bolts version. Would that be a significant enough for an item or are top plates interchangeable that much and all.

As for counting the rotations. So to figure if its the 6.34 gearing I would need to spin the input shaft 6 full rotations plus a little over 1/4 turn and the output should have then completed one full rotation correct???? Because they are basically off from top dead center that I marked by 1/4 rotation either way, so one is definetly the 6.34 or the 5.xx gearing. Tempted to just pull the top cover and count 1st gear teeth on the top shaft, the bottom probably wouldn't be bale too, then figure out which tooth count is needed for which gearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Far enough I had to squeeze down the exhaust pipe a bit for the pump. The pto itself hangs out nothing serious. Usually I see a shaft remotely to a pump that's on the dump hoist or such, but this setup the fatter pump volts directly to pto, eats up all the room between that and frame for the exhaust

Obviously all passenger side because of 4wd.

It's a srw 3500, was 454 auto, now 350 manual.

The way the pto is designed is kinda stupid, honestly.

The older ones the idler slides over and hooks iron on the counter shaft. This new junk an intermediate gear runs and turns all the time in the pto, and internally in the pto the engagement takes place.

So technically with no pto output, you still have something burning against the countershaft of the gearbox.

A step backwards in my book. Why? Because now you have to buy a handful of special expensive crush gaskets, then mix and match for a shim headache....

Too tight, it whines and wears, too loose it chatters and wears..., just right, it's quiet and wears. Wtf?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Far enough I had to squeeze down the exhaust pipe a bit for the pump. The pto itself hangs out nothing serious. Usually I see a shaft remotely to a pump that's on the dump hoist or such, but this setup the fatter pump volts directly to pto, eats up all the room between that and frame for the exhaust

Obviously all passenger side because of 4wd.

It's a srw 3500, was 454 auto, now 350 manual.

The way the pto is designed is kinda stupid, honestly.

The older ones the idler slides over and hooks iron on the counter shaft. This new junk an intermediate gear runs and turns all the time in the pto, and internally in the pto the engagement takes place.

So technically with no pto output, you still have something burning against the countershaft of the gearbox.

A step backwards in my book. Why? Because now you have to buy a handful of special expensive crush gaskets, then mix and match for a shim headache....

Too tight, it whines and wears, too loose it chatters and wears..., just right, it's quiet and wears. Wtf?

Who manufacturers these PTO take-offs, cause I've looked around and cant really find anyone whom stocks them for the NV4500's. Plenty for the 5600, and G56's and all the 4500 and up trucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mines a Chelsea. I didn't make note when it was out. If I can find a part # I'll post.

Ive looked into 5600s and g56, I personally think a done right nv 4500 and reasonable operator judgment is plenty and longevity.

My junk yard clutch for $12 is getting weak. Tried breaking tires loose in 3rd and it gives up the ghost. Furthermore it's a limited slip, and I put in some nasty stiff springs. Once tire in dirt it still breaks the other on pavement.

Flywheel is off a something who knows what. Sandblasted it and it's been good since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts