Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gonna be throwing in the '93 4.3 vortec w/4l60e trans soon (just waiting on the tax return). anyway will there be enough room for the chevy radiator ? the motor has the remote oil filter that gets cooled off thru the rad, and then theres the tranny cooler lines as well. ive done some rough measuring and it seems i would have to move it back a few inches from the stock location because of the longer length. just curious if anyone has come across this problem. i know i could put the whole thing together and just cross that bridge when i get to it but i like to know what im up against 1st. any clues?? TIA

·
Registered
809 Posts
Probably not, the Chevy radiator is way too wide. Measure between your inner fenders and then measure the Chevy radiator. I just did a 5.3 Vortec in an '87 YJ and used a 3 core copper/brass radiator from like MEPCO. It bolted right in and was less than $200. You'll want an external tranny cooler anyway, and you probably won't need the engine oil cooler in a Jeep.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thanks, and i did find some info in the search about bypassing the oil cooler so i guess ill get rid of it. damn thing always leaked when it was in the blazer anyway;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You can also use a radiator fro a 92 camaro, it will fit with little cutting but you will have to fab brackets.

I went with a brand new two core from Radiator Doctor. It bolts up with no fabbing. and the inlet and outlets are swapped. The best past of it was that it was shipped to my door the next day for $200.

Good luck
Chad

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am using a griffin aluminum radiator for my 95 4.3L vortec swap into a 88 wrangler. I would go with the Howe aluminum radiator from summit, if I was going to do it over. I would ditch the remote oil cooler set up, and buy a seperate tranny cooler. I never run hot or overheat with my setup even in 100degree weather rock crawling, with a 700r4 auto.

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts