Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the highway and suddenly I feel a bump and see my spare tire flying up past my rear view mirror. I bet it went at least 10 feet in the air. Luckily the tire went to the right, and rolled off the shoulder. I had never used the tire, and never even lowered it down. Looks like the cable snapped. 2000 silverado, 210k miles. Seems like this is a pretty poor design. Anybody else heard of this happening? Alternative methods to get my tire back under the bed?

·
Registered
121 Posts
This happens in the "rust belt" on a dailey basis. You have to wind it down every year when you rust proof your truck. Probably find a used one at the pull a part.
I was driving down the highway and suddenly I feel a bump and see my spare tire flying up past my rear view mirror. I bet it went at least 10 feet in the air. Luckily the tire went to the right, and rolled off the shoulder. I had never used the tire, and never even lowered it down. Looks like the cable snapped. 2000 silverado, 210k miles. Seems like this is a pretty poor design. Anybody else heard of this happening? Alternative methods to get my tire back under the bed?

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
That's odd, I think all the NBS trucks have / had a interlock device which prevented the tire from falling even without the cable. Might want to see what exactly happened but sounds like the lock failed too.

·
bobbing for fries
1,879 Posts
This happens in the "rust belt" on a dailey basis. You have to wind it down every year when you rust proof your truck. Probably find a used one at the pull a part.
Yup, what he said ^^^^ its a normal thing, especially at railroad crossings :laughing:

·
Read Only
461 Posts
Does the winch still work? Lower it, Lube it. fab a new piece, and crimp on another end. would that even be a option?

If you got a cable crimp large enough to double it back into itself, you would have no fear of it pulling out.
Sounds like the end rotted off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts