Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, newB question here, but what the hell.

Truck has a 283 in it with a factory GM starter. For the past year or so the starter solenoid has clicked several times before being able to connect and turn over the starter.

I'm wondering if it's worth the bother to replace the solenoid (can it be done???), or should I just get an el-cheapo NAPA starter and toss that in.

Sage words of advice are welcome.

Thanks!

:flipoff2:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Does it only happen when the engine is warmed up?

GM starters are well known for heat soak problems. Installing a Ford fender solenoid is the usual fix.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey OS, you following me around? :flipoff2:

No, it happens all the time, cold, hot, medium, whenever.

Today just so happened to be the day that it didn't click and start at all. I was parked in the front of the local hot-rod performance shop looking for fuel line and it died. I know that my battery has been a culprit for a while, I've killed it several times over and over from being stupid (long story...hard to believe isn't it???), so thought that maybe the solenoid wasn't closing due to low voltage.

Went back in the hot-rod shop and bought a Hawker Oddesey battery (on sale for $150) and hooked it up. Still no go. Tested it when I got home and it was reading 12.8 volts, so I know it was charged.

I had to roll backwards and pop the clutch to get it started. Had the battery already installed so I decided to keep it.

My battery that is dead now is a blue-top Optima. Probably about 2 years old, so maybe I'll try to claim 'warantee'.

So, back to the starter solenoid.

I think the Chevy starter has the solenoid built in??? It's been a while since I've crawled under there so I don't really know.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool guys. good places to look.

now, I just gotta figger out how to replace that clutch slave cylinder.

Yep. More newbie questions on the way....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If it's doing it when it's cold also, the contacts are probably just worn. You can replace the contacts (very easy) or if you're in a pinch you can flip em over so they make contact where they're not worn (temporary fix) hope that's helpful.:D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
And I have a Chevy with a 2.8 that just started the same damn thing!! Relay chatter is soooo lovely to hear just when you are about to get rid of the truck.

Can I hear it run?

Sure, no problem!!!

ratitatatat

Uh maybe not.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts