Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my 5 leaf chevy's last night using Sky's kit. Everything worked good and I seem to have around 5" of lift which is good. I have some serious driveline vibration now, but I think it may due to it getting seperated and now the phase is off. I have some pics of my driveline angles. Tell me what you think. Should I rotate the pinion?

·
Registered
450 Posts
How long is your shackle ? instead of rotating the perches goto a longer shackle.. 10" or so that's if you're shackle isnt' long already.. i had to cut my perches and rotate them with the 4leaf pack and a 2" block.. with dual cases my rear shaft was on a bad angle, especially because my rig is a shortbox.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using the 6" shackle from Sky. I don't really want to add more lift to this thing, but I suppose I could pull the Overload and go up to an 8" shackle. That would probably even out. Any downside to going with a long shackle?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Pinion is off some. Rubicon Express makes some steel shims, that bolt to the spring pack. Might be a good solution, and they won't crap out on you anytime soon. I have 8* shims on my rig, I think I gave about $35 for the pair with new spring pack bolts.

I did not notice any adverse effects of installing them. No axle wrap, no vibration, no funny handling, nothing like that.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Never seen the DS put on in that dir before. I put the slip-joint closer to the
diff. Provides a 'lil more clearance in the rocks.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I rotated my pinion up when I did my chevy swap. I am running a 4 leaf pack with the rear hanger dropped down an inch and half with the sky 6" shackle. I also stuck a 1 inch block in to level things out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FrankenToy said:
Never seen the DS put on in that dir before. I put the slip-joint closer to the
diff. Provides a 'lil more clearance in the rocks.
This is the direction it already was in. Maybe the PO turned it around at some point. I'll probably swap it around.

·
Registered
160 Posts
pull the Overload and go up to an 8" shackle. That would probably even out. Any downside to going with a long shackle?
This is probably the best thing to do. With 4 or 5 leafs you probably don't want that overload anyway.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Re-index your drive shaft so the yokes are in phase.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
i bet, bythe looks of the driveshaft picture, that you need to lengthen your rear driveshaft. check to see how much spline engagement you have. (i had your same problems, but cured it with a longer shaft).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric said:
Re-index your drive shaft so the yokes are in phase.
Is there a sure way to re-index it? I lined the yokes up with each other, but it didn't help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kstomper said:
i bet, bythe looks of the driveshaft picture, that you need to lengthen your rear driveshaft. check to see how much spline engagement you have. (i had your same problems, but cured it with a longer shaft).
I think your probably right. The shaft is pulled out 2.5" from where it was. There isn't near as much spline engagement as before. I didn't realize this could be a source of vibration. I thought if the splines were connected it would be fine.

·
Registered
968 Posts
FXR UPR said:
Try turning your springs around
Chevy's are the same no matter what direction.

Looks good. Get some degree shims, cut down the overload leaf (cut the rear behind the spring perch, cut the front 8" in front of the spring perch) It will be less of a rock anchor.

·
Registered
820 Posts
If the truck didn't move between the first two pictures...your u-joints are out of phase. Pull the slip yoke off and alight the joints.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
shooter said:
If the truck didn't move between the first two pictures...your u-joints are out of phase. Pull the slip yoke off and alight the joints.

Looks like the same problem to me also

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shooter said:
They were out of phase, but they aren't now. It still has the problem however.

Whats the best way to install degree shims? Should I take the center pin out of the leafs and include the degree shim as part of the leaf pack?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts