Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any opinions on the chicago electric plasma cutter (120v) that harbor freight is advertising on thier website? I'm gonna run by there to buy a nibbler but if the plasma is half afordable / half decent I may give the credit card a work out. thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Try Parker metlaworking. I paid a lot less then Harborfreight at the time I purchased mine. Parker has good support and a warranty I actually was able to use.

·
Registered
393 Posts
not sure about the 110 but the 220v chicago electric i have that i just got hooked up yesturday kicks ass. cuts through 5/8ths only turned up half way like it was nothing. and 3mm is right above 3/16 so dont be hoping for allot out of it but if all you have is a 110 it couldnt hurt.

IMO if you want a 110 id look at gianttech plasmas they have one that can do both 110 and 220

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
...IMO if you want a 110 id look at gianttech plasmas they have one that can do both 110 and 220
So can the Hobart airforce 400 (nice little machine, I've had it for a while) and probably a lot of others.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So can the Hobart airforce 400 (nice little machine, I've had it for a while) and probably a lot of others.
i would go name brand(hobart,miller,hypertherm etc) but to stay in his price range id go giantech or parker.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Parker has good support and a warranty I actually was able to use.
That's the part about the Parker stuff that has always bothered me (the fact that you have to use the warranty). They seemed like nice guys when I called to talk to them about their stuff, but the fact that there are a number of people on this board that have had to send their units back to be repaired along with the fact that they were out of stock on their 40a cutters when I called them is what made me go elsewhere.

Is having a plasma cutter that works on 110v power a necessity? If not, your options will open up quite a bit. There are even some cutters on the market that have a built in air supply as well which would make it a lot more portable as well.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
but the fact that there are a number of people on this board that have had to send their units back to be repaired along with the fact that they were out of stock on their 40a cutters when I called them is what made me go elsewhere.
Back it up with facts, maybe we should have a poll? I would speculate the scales will shift much further to the opposite side of the spectrum than that which you suggested. :flipoff2:

Yah, and they are the first company in the history of mankind to backorder. :shaking:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Back it up with facts, maybe we should have a poll? I would speculate the scales will shift much further to the opposite side of the spectrum than that which you suggested. :flipoff2:

Yah, and they are the first company in the history of mankind to backorder. :shaking:
Nowhere did I say that there were more people that have had more issues than not. There however have been several threads started and comments made from people on here who have had issues. People typically don't rave as much about good products as they complain about things that don't work, so I really doubt we will ever get a good feel for what kind of percentage of the owners have experienced problems.

Like I said before, it was a combination of Parker not having any cutters in stock and the fact that there had been some issues with them that made me look elsewhere. I had my credit card out and ready to order from them when I called (ignoring my concern about the reported problems and willing to give them a chance), but since they didn't have any ready for immediate shipment it pushed me over the edge to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Nowhere did I say that there were more people that have had more issues than not. There however have been several threads started and comments made from people on here who have had issues. People typically don't rave as much about good products as they complain about things that don't work, so I really doubt we will ever get a good feel for what kind of percentage of the owners have experienced problems.
Nice try, the majority of Parker praise is in 2 threads.

Here's some facts :p :
SeaBass44's "Bought a PLASMA" Thread

Parker's Vender Thread

Read through these, and count up every bit of praise and concern and get back to us. :flipoff2:

EDIT
Yah yah yah, there are other threads started praising the product, and the VERY FEW ones with issues. But the vast majority are in the above two threads.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Nice try, the majority of Parker praise is in 2 threads.

Here's some facts :p :
SeaBass44's "Bought a PLASMA" Thread

Parker's Vender Thread

Read through these, and count up every bit of praise and concern and get back to us. :flipoff2:

EDIT
Yah yah yah, there are other threads started praising the product, and the VERY FEW ones with issues. But the vast majority are in the above two threads.
And in the same threads, there are people having issues as well. Some which can be fixed over the phone with tech support and some which can't. I'm not going to sit here and cut and paste in the bad stuff because I'm too lazy... :flipoff2:

My whole point/opinion is that a warranty is intended to be there as peace of mind, not there as something you need to use. I'm not dumb enough to think that every product manufactured is going to be problem free (hell, I've worked in customer service/warranty for about 4 years now), but the complaint rate is a bit high for me personally to feel comfortable risking ~$500.

I have yet to have to call Hobart or Thermal Dynamics for my Mig and Tig welders, as well as my buddy's TD plasma, or even call the Northern Tool tech line for my cheapie Chinese Northern Tool plasma, so that is what I gauge my expectations on. None of the other people I know have had to call a major manufacturer for support on a welder or plasma that I am aware of either. Granted, we aren't talking about machines in the same price bracket either (except for my NT plasma), but I personally don't expect any less out of my Chinese machine, since I bought it to use. IMHO, it is all in what you're willing to put up with and/or take a gamble on.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
My whole point/opinion is that a warranty is intended to be there as peace of mind, not there as something you need to use. I'm not dumb enough to think that every product manufactured is going to be problem free.....
I wouldn't put it past you :laughing:.......................A warranty is to fix any unforeseen issues that could happen to the product at the manufacturer's expense. I have a Parker, two of my buddies have bought Parker's and the third is calling anyday now. NONE of us have had problems.

If all a warranty is good to you is to feel warm and fuzzy inside, then all I can say is wow. Since Parker has a 3 year warranty and I don't think any of the other Chinese plasma's can really stand up to that.

If you read closely, you'll see that Phil Sr states that their warranty is running 1.5% which is damn good IMHO.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Now FACTS like the above on the other hand actually mean something............................:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I wouldn't put it past you :laughing:.......................A warranty is to fix any unforeseen issues that could happen to the product at the manufacturer's expense.
In the simplest sense, yes you are correct.

If all a warranty is good to you is to feel warm and fuzzy inside, then all I can say is wow. Since Parker has a 3 year warranty and I don't think any of the other Chinese plasma's can really stand up to that.
Not true, my NT plasma also has a 3 year warranty. There is also a store in town here where I should be able to take it if I do ever encounter problems.

Furthermore, it could be that Parker can get the parts cheap enough to be able to afford to offer an extended warranty and just eat the cost of a board or two if a cutter goes down and still come out ahead on their profit per machine. Warranty costs are always a gamble and sometimes the selling point of a longer warranty than the competition will win and sometimes not. Look at what Chrysler is doing with their lifetime warranty for example. Obviously this is speculation, but who knows? A good businessman might try anything to make a buck...

If you read closely, you'll see that Phil Sr states that their warranty is running 1.5% which is damn good IMHO.
I never have seen that. If it is true, then I would agree that 1.5% is a decent warrantable defect number. I have to ask, how do they come up with that number though? Are they counting in the people calling in who get their problems resolved over the phone or not?

Whatever the case, I feel somewhat bad because I would probably have waited and bought a Parker had I known that. Between the stuff I read here and elsewhere on the web it paints a darker picture than what that number indicates.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I never have seen that. If it is true, then I would agree that 1.5% is a decent warrantable defect number. I have to ask, how do they come up with that number though? Are they counting in the people calling in who get their problems resolved over the phone or not?

Whatever the case, I feel somewhat bad because I would probably have waited and bought a Parker had I known that. Between the stuff I read here and elsewhere on the web it paints a darker picture than what that number indicates.
I believe he states it in the vender thread in one of the last few pages. I would speculate that number is for returned units or units that needed internal repairs whether it be sent in or done over the phone. A few of the threads I have seen have been because of issues with broken swirl rings etc. That's the bad thing about electrical stuff, user error can really cause some headaches.

1-1.5% is very good, now if your Fortune 500 then you better be around 0.5%. :D

Chrysler will just smother the warranty with contingencies that make it near impossible to obtain warranty. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the opinions and replies. I decided to hold off on the plasma cutter for the imediate moment and just picked up the nibbler (and an arm full of stuff I didn't know I needed till I walked throught the door:D) The one at harbor frieght was going for 600 dollars. Thats probably the most I wanna spend right now, Unfortunately 110v is all I have available for now and I have a good compressor so I don't think a internal air source is for me. I read the link posted by roxroes and I'm gonna look into the china built machine modified by parker metal. Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That's the part about the Parker stuff that has always bothered me (the fact that you have to use the warranty). They seemed like nice guys when I called to talk to them about their stuff, but the fact that there are a number of people on this board that have had to send their units back to be repaired along with the fact that they were out of stock on their 40a cutters when I called them is what made me go elsewhere.

Is having a plasma cutter that works on 110v power a necessity? If not, your options will open up quite a bit. There are even some cutters on the market that have a built in air supply as well which would make it a lot more portable as well.
Mine went to the dump instead of to the UPS truck the 3rd or 4th time it OC'd....

:mr-t:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Mine went to the dump instead of to the UPS truck the 3rd or 4th time it OC'd....

American Badass! :mr-t: :laughing:

What model did you have? Did it work at all after you got it, and how long? Did you buy another from somebody else and have never had problems with that one?

Cause I mean, I could go out and fawk mine or any mfg's up really quick if I wanted to. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
108 Posts

It's a shame since I would have been happy to pay the shipping to here. If you actually had one and it died like you say. Your detailed description definitely leaves a little room to doubt.

My turbo'd 40DV rides on the trailer next to the bobcat and hasn't given me a bit of trouble. The first and last time I had to talk to the Parker guys was before placing my order. It's just nice to know they're there for me if I ever do have a problem or need more consumables...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's a shame since I would have been happy to pay the shipping to here. If you actually had one and it died like you say. Your detailed description definitely leaves a little room to doubt.

My turbo'd 40DV rides on the trailer next to the bobcat and hasn't given me a bit of trouble. The first and last time I had to talk to the Parker guys was before placing my order. It's just nice to know they're there for me if I ever do have a problem or need more consumables...

Not much to describe. It'd cut fine then the little red light would come on....O.C.

Call them up and have to send it in. Had one fixed, then replaced, then fixed again...

Now it's gone...

They were cool about fixing it, but it'd take a month to get it sent back.

I probably had 2 or 3 hours cut time over the year and a half that I had one...

When it worked it cut well though...

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
American Badass! :mr-t: :laughing:

What model did you have? Did it work at all after you got it, and how long? Did you buy another from somebody else and have never had problems with that one?

Cause I mean, I could go out and fawk mine or any mfg's up really quick if I wanted to. :flipoff2:
Dude, are you on the Parker payroll or what? Not saying anything bad about em, but damn, your nose is just a little too brown to be simply a happy customer. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Dude, are you on the Parker payroll or what? Not saying anything bad about em, but damn, your nose is just a little too brown to be simply a happy customer. :flipoff2:
I wish, I could use the extra cash! :flipoff2:

Nope, just a simple happy customer, I use the living piss out of mine, practically every night. Night before last, prolly over 60 inches of cutting on 3/8 and about 6 full passes across a 48" wide 3/16 sheet. Then last night not so much, but tonight I have to finish up a swing away tire carrier rear bumper for an XJ. For $400 you can't beat it IMHO..................... ;)

EDIT
I was taught on and used a Lincoln for years, I like this much more. And just the looks on peoples faces when this little bread sized box tears through stuff and keeps on ticking reconfirms my decision everytime!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts