Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I need new center pins for my 55 springs. I'm not going to buy any from venders for a few reasons. But I have some questions first.

I plan on drilling out the springs and running 7/16 bolts. the springs are bastard 55 spring packs. 7+diving board rear, 8 leaf front.

The only bolt suppliers in my area sell cheap chinese bolts. Think these are worthy of center pins?

My other option was making some out of pre-stressed steel. No big deal.

What says the BB? This should probably go under general newbie, but what the hell....
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
my 40 packs run a grade 8 5/16" bolts as the center pins.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eskimo said:
my 40 packs run a grade 8 5/16" bolts as the center pins.
I had to run out and check, but unless 40 packs are different from 55, 5/16 won't work, I can fit a 3/8" drill bit in there easy and 7/16 will work fine.

But chinese steel or prestress?

·
Banned
471 Posts
About using cheap bolts

I would most definitely go with the 7/16" bolts and a grade 8
bolt. there is alot!!! of shear possibilities in the leaf packs
and anything below grade5 or 6 would be like butter under stress.

kruzrtek

"

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: About using cheap bolts

kruzrtek said:
I would most definitely go with the 7/16" bolts and a grade 8
bolt. there is alot!!! of shear possibilities in the leaf packs
and anything below grade5 or 6 would be like butter under stress.
I figured on Grade 8, but the only suitable bolts in Cheyenne are sold through Big R, and they're.... just not the same. Pretty shitty actually. A friend used some 1/2" bolts welded to a frame he built for his lathe. The heat from the tig weakened the bolt so much it snapped when he torqued it to a measely 50ft-lbs. Bunch o' crap.

:mad:

I'm going with the pre-stressed, and I'll make a pair of extras. Any objections?

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Have you already drilled the packs??? I assume you know about how hard it is to drill spring steel. If not, you will soon find out. Anyway...good luck, and go with the 7/16 if you can. If you can't find any locally...go to grainger.com or somewhere similar and buy a whole bag of em. won't take taht long to get to you.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Learned somethings today

fj40john said:
Have you already drilled the packs??? I assume you know about how hard it is to drill spring steel. If not, you will soon find out. Anyway...good luck, and go with the 7/16 if you can. If you can't find any locally...go to grainger.com or somewhere similar and buy a whole bag of em. won't take taht long to get to you.
My good bud today made my rear spring bolts. Tool steel, with a 5/8" head, 10mm diameter with 3/8" finespline threads at the very end of it. Tempered, ready to bolt in.

I did try drilling spring steel with a regular twist bit. SUCK! But I am going to drill the fronts (16 leafs total) with a carbide tip. Worked well for the one spring I did.

Back to blacksmith....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts