Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front 5.29 ring gear has one tooth that is chiped about 1/3rd of the way off toward the out side of it. should I run it or replace it?
Also is there any way to tell what brand it is?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
obvious answer is to replace them. doesn't really matter what brand, i dont know how to tell, some have markings but chances are yours doesn't.
since it is the ring gear you may get away with leaving it. some guys on this board are running with 4 or more missing teeth (in their mouth anyway):D you never know it might be ok.

·
Registered
33 Posts
gears

I had the same thing happen to me---(Part of one tooth was broken) I kept running it and six months later alot of teeth were broke and almost punched a hole in my housing.

I'd fix it before more damage occurs.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
83rolledtoy said:
My front 5.29 ring gear has one tooth that is chiped about 1/3rd of the way off toward the out side of it. should I run it or replace it?
Also is there any way to tell what brand it is?
Thanks

Need a better description of where the chip is. If the ring gear were laying flat on a table with the teeth facing up - is the chip towards the crown (top) or root (bottom) of the angled tooth surface? And give approx height of material missing.

Is the chip more towards the center of the ring gear, or more towards the outside edge? Also - estimate size of chips that direction too.

If you can - get some gear marking paste and check the gear pattern, to see if the chip is in an affected wear area.

IMHO - for most general off roading, and just ONE ring gear chipped, and for front axle use - you *should* be ok.

Obviously - a picture would be much more help :p

·
Registered
481 Posts
i chipped my rear 5.29's a couple of weeks ago. i drove on it because it happend on the way to class(15 minute drive). since i just finished my cab swap earlyer that week i thought a bolt was loose and something was smacking(cab mount or cross-member). while driving through the parking lot it was still making it. on the way home from class it was getting worse where i determined it was something in the rear end(it was speed rather than rpm). when i got home i jacked up the axle and spun the driveline...the tires didn't trun from time to time. i knew i killed the r/p. the ring lost about 5 teeth and the pinion was chipped in a couple places. my r/p set was stamped...richmond. i put a us-gear r/p set in...i knew it had the teeth count on them but i forget if us-gear was stamped on it.

since it's in the front end it shouldn't be too big a deal depending on how bad the chip is. like drm said a pic would be helpful.

good luck

happy trails
rich *ruger* :beer: :usa:

·
Registered
39 Posts
dude,I would change it ,you know the OLD slogan
" pay me now or pay a hell of a lot
latter"
just my 02:rolleyes:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DRM

The chip is at the bottom(root) on the out side edge. I don't know what brand of gears they are since I bought them in the axles used, but last summer I blow every single tooth off both the ring and pinion in the back? I am thinking that I will buy a new set and put these in a third for a spair. I replaced the back with gennuine, but have recentley hered they suck? what brand would you go with?

thanks for the help everyone

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
83rolledtoy said:
what brand would you go with?

thanks for the help everyone

Personaly I would go with Yukon, Precision, or Richmond. I just had my front redone with Yukon.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
What brand would *I* go with?

US Gear - there is NO better (Well, except for Dana/Spicer gears, but that is not an option for Toyota's now is it :p )

From your description, when you get those new gears pick up some marking paste at the same time. Use that to get get a pattern on the chipped gears, and you can then make a proper determination just whether or not they are even worth using as spares.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
my rear has been chipped a bit(a couple of trailing edges of a few teeth) on the ring gear since the day i bought it used....still fine US gear....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just went out to look at the gears closer and noticed that every tooth is cracked and about ready to blow. what could make this happen? set up wrong? My rear did the same thing? I just did not catch it in time:nuke:

thanks

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
It generally starts with one or two teeth, then progresses rapidly from there.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
replace it with US gears,i busted a ring gear on my 5.71's and replaced it with US gear and have been nothing but hell on the new set and have not broke them yet.but if they do break i am going with stock third members sice i have a dual adapter now...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do richmon gears have a warranty on them?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
look on the ring gear and read off all the info on it. I doubt you have an warrenty on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts