Pirate 4x4 banner

Chopped and tubed tahoe

9K views 57 replies 28 participants last post by  American 
#1 ·
This was my weekend project. a buddy wanted his SASd tahoe caged so.... we are building removable tube doors to go with it. There's a whole lot left to do but... :grinpimp:

the fender flares will be back on.

See less See more
#2 ·
Man that was a perfecly good truck :laughing: Deffinately a different approach.. I like it :smokin:

How much lift is on that thing ?

Is that a stock factory color ? If so what year ?

#4 ·
That thing is awesome! Looks like a body lift and some 42 IROKs(about all I can come close to guessing on lift and tire), cool looking. Again, Im with the other guy, can we get some specs?

Slowly taking mine that route, I like to see the tech involved in doing so, there is a lot of stuff on these trucks that has to be creatively engineered.

#7 · (Edited)
The owner designed the A pillar the way he wanted it. As for the 4wp sticker that about 6 years old from when it was still IFS.

Specs:
1997 4dr tahoe
SAS'd with ford 60s, 5.13 and detroits
3" body lift to clear custom fuel cell and allow for flat belly
42" Iroks
Custom driveline brales, SYE, tom woods shafts
Lift is all custom with a 6" stretch in the front and 2" in the rear
12k warn winch
rock ram assist

still has the 350 vortec with some custom tuning, beefed 4l60e, it is not a factory color (can't remember the name though)

Im sure theres a lot im forgetting. Everything on this truck has been done in a home garage by 2 college students on a limited budget. All of the designs, brackets, etc are built not bought.

Pics of driveline:

Before the cage:

#11 · (Edited)
I'm the owner of the Tahoe. I admit the A-pillar doesn't look so great, but the bars that protect the fender flares are spaced out a few inches. In order to meet the fender flare bars, the A-pillar bars had to be spaced out little bit. So while they don't provide the tight look that we all love, they tie in nicely and provide adequate protection. So I agree, they don't look spectacular, but they do their job, and that's what we're all going for...right? We added a couple bars in the rear to provide more support. Pictures are coming later. We also have a 300 pound tubing bender virtuoso, who loves to bend tube, so it makes our job easier. His fuel is the kegorator that is in the garage. More pictures are on the way.

PS. The tubing bender virtuoso is a three time national rugby champ. he made me write this, and i'm drunk

#12 ·
FlexCJ5 said:
So while they don't provide the tight look that we all love, they tie in nicely and provide adequate protection. So I agree, they don't look spectacular, but they do their job, and that's what we're all going for...right?

His fuel is the kegorator that is in the garage.
You can't beat good ole' ******* engineering.. A couple of guys,a few beers, a hammer ,saw.welder. duck tape :D and some imagination is the roots on how all of this stuff got started in the 1st place.. That is what paved the way to all of these fabrication shops and fancy machines you see today..

I'm sure that there is not anybody that has ever built something that when they got done they didn't think about how it could have been better if they done something different..

And you got to admit this is better then that other post with the gay ass Hummer with the pink furry carpet :flipoff2:

#16 ·
FlexCJ5 said:
the owner is very protective of his fender flares... don't ask me why :shaking:
They are expensive....

I think the truck looked real good before the tube...(that includes the boner on the front) Im biased as hell though cuz I hate an exo.. :barf:

Still looks like a fun ride though either way, just not asethetically appealing to me personally.

#17 ·
Pdaddy said:
They are expensive....

I think the truck looked real good before the tube...(that includes the boner on the front) Im biased as hell though cuz I hate an exo.. :barf:

Still looks like a fun ride though either way, just not asethetically appealing to me personally.
yes they are! Its not built for looks, because i agree on the exocage thing. Believe it or not this thing gets wheeled hard. Its goin to tellico as soon as the cage is finished (gonna attempt 2 Upper and lower) and should be at the east coast M&G at crozet in august.

#18 ·
Ok, I'm the owner. I just registered. I agree, the fender bars stick out kinda far, and I might regret the fact that the tires don't stick out a few inches past them, but I'm pretty stubborn, and I wanted to keep the flares. I think they look pretty decent, but better yet... they keep lots of mud off of me. Lots of people, even Flex, admitted that the fender flares need to stay, but that doesn't really matter. Just wait til it's done. It will look much better when it's all put back together and painted black, but thanks for all the criticisms. :beer:

#19 ·
4x4Tahoe2 said:
Ok, I'm the owner. I just registered. I agree, the fender bars stick out kinda far, and I might regret the fact that the tires don't stick out a few inches past them, but I'm pretty stubborn, and I wanted to keep the flares. I think they look pretty decent, but better yet... they keep lots of mud off of me. Lots of people, even Flex, admitted that the fender flares need to stay, but that doesn't really matter. Just wait til it's done. It will look much better when it's all put back together and painted black, but thanks for all the criticisms. :beer:
Yeah, i agree the flares add somethin to it, but we prolly could've used the bars in place of the flares... maybe

#21 ·
the e- brake uses a geo metro rotor and a single piston eldorado caliper with the e-brake attachments. we designed a floating caliper system that worrks very well.

#22 ·
updated pics

Well heres how it finally turned out. We entered it in a rock competiton this weekend and took a 7 on the first course and a 2 on the second course. We were only able to run the second day because of other obligations but still managed to place 14th overall out of 32.

#24 ·
FlexCJ5 said:
Well heres how it finally turned out.
I like it :smokin:

And here is a :beer: for building something different..

#25 · (Edited)
Just a little update: Went wheelin this weekend and the owners girlfriend got to drive. It was all fun and games until she discovered a nice quarter pipe shaped hill climb and hit it at full throttle. All 4 tires made it about 4ft in the air with all the weight coming down on the front end. Flat out destroyed the front 60 and leafsprings, draglink and bumpstops. Ill see about postin the pics.

We are considerin rockwells now (rearsteer) or at least a beefier front sixty. Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.