Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, has anyone ever stuck a Ford or Chevy small block bellhousing on an AW4?

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg55_99's bellhousing thread might help, even if it is about manual transmissions:
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/tech-articles/4740-engine-swap-bellhousings.html
This tells me something good. Looks like quite a few motors will work with the 2.5L Bellhousing on my AW4.

#3. 96-00 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any Jeep 2.5L L4. Because of it's GM 60 degree V6 inherited bolt pattern, also works with any Buick FWD V6 and supercharged V6, any Chevrolet 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6, any Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 V8 and with a minor modification, any Olds Aurora DOHC V8 and Cadillac DOHC Northstar V8. Also bolts to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 DOHC V6 and Holden (Australia) 3800 V6.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yeah I searched for abouta month trying to find a way to bolt up a 5.3L to my AW4, I couldn't find any bolt on bellhousings or adapters at all... Doh. I have a few bellhousings kicking around now that I blew my AW4 up so I will try to build one probably.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
This tells me something good. Looks like quite a few motors will work with the 2.5L Bellhousing on my AW4.

#3. 96-00 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any Jeep 2.5L L4. Because of it's GM 60 degree V6 inherited bolt pattern, also works with any Buick FWD V6 and supercharged V6, any Chevrolet 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6, any Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 V8 and with a minor modification, any Olds Aurora DOHC V8 and Cadillac DOHC Northstar V8. Also bolts to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 DOHC V6 and Holden (Australia) 3800 V6.
I thought that might get the creative juices going....:D
Read somewhere recently about the Caddy (Northstar? Shortstar?)motor and an AW4:grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
anyone find one yet? Im thinking about keeping my AW4 while swapping in a gen 3 gm v8 but havent found anything yet.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hey Houlster,

Whose motor is that?

Is it Supercharged?

Thanks, Kiwi

Edit; GM made a 4L60e from a Camaro/Firebird 3800V6, that can be adapted to take a T-case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK, slight hi-jack.

Will a 96-00 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing, connect an AMC EFI 2.5l to an AW4 trans?

And to clarify further, what flexplate and TC would I have to use?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, slight hi-jack.

Will a 96-00 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing, connect an AMC EFI 2.5l to an AW4 trans?

And to clarify further, what flexplate and TC would I have to use?
No. The tranny side pattern is wrong

Why not just use a stock 2.5L Cherokee AW4 Bellhousing?

The one in my YJ

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Because I CANT FIND one:mad3:

If could find one I'd use it in a New York minute.
You suck at the internet

www.car-part.com select an 89 cherokee/ transmission auto 4 cyl 2wd or 4wd and then start calling until you find one of the yards willing to just ship you the bellhousing. That's how I got mine ;) Paid $50 for it

·
Registered
264 Posts
anyone find one yet? Im thinking about keeping my AW4 while swapping in a gen 3 gm v8 but havent found anything yet.
LOL... Well, if you're into trivia, the 5.3L LS4 out of the FWD Impala SS has the GM 60 degree pattern on the back:

Problem is... the starter mounts to the bellhousing, not to the block...

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts