Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the HEI conversion on my CJ's 258. I pulled a distributor gear from an AMC V-8 (from an '84 Waggy w/a 360) but the gear is alot taller than the GM gear. The portion with the teeth is the same, but the portion below that is taller. Is this correct, or did I get the wrong gear? My understanding was that it should be the right gear, but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
You have the right gear. Don't worry about comparing it to the GM gear. You're stabbing the dizzy into an AMC engine, not a GM and yes they are supposed to be different.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I picked up a gm hei 6 cylinder distributor out of a scrap yard. I just the torn it complete down, cleaned it up. I took the gear off of a spare amc 6 cylinder distributor and sanded down the one end so it would fit on the gm distributor (with the roll pin installed) in the same place as the amc gear. Then I went out and got a re-curve kit for the gm hei distributor. New wires, cap and rotor. Then I spent a day setting up the distributor (different spring combinations) unit I got it right. It was one of the best mods I did to the 258 motor. You will also have to run a new 12 volt wire (hot when the injection key is in both the start and run position) to the distributor.
I drove the jeep for years with this set up. It would still be in there but I am in the process of putting a 2001 4.1 fuel injection motor (with the computer) in it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I'll be putting it in this coming weekend

·
Registered
243 Posts
blkntancj said:
Thanks for the info, I'll be putting it in this coming weekend
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts