Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CJ-5 is coming back together rapidly and the powertrain is set on the frame, tub mounted today. Anyway I'm running an AMC V-8/ T-18/ Dana 20 combo on a 3.5 lift, still spring under, stock axles.
There is a LOT of driveline angle right now and it looks like I'm gonna need a driveshaft, about a 17" one.
Question: I could section the crossmember to lower down the rear of the powertrain but the valvecovers are tight on the firewall already. Since I have the AMC 20 with a fairly long pinion, would I be better off rotating up and going double cardan? Or conventional driveshaft, lower the back down, massage the firewall with BFH.
I am going to be pushing some huge horsepower with this thing sometime soon so longevity would be an issue also. Doesn't Tom Wood sell 1330 ujoint series yokes for both the tcase and axle ends of the shaft?
Just looking for ideas, I need to order the driveshaft tomorrow- which would be today since it's 2 am and I've been working all day- anyway, who's done this?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I just put a t-18a in my 79 cj-5. I had a drive shaft of 17 3/4" The shaft angle was better then what it was with the t-150. The skid plate was 7/8" lower when they came out stock. I Just used spacers at the frame. Everything cleared fine. Did you move your motor mounts?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got a 77 with the same set up, I scrapped the the original skid plate, and built a new cross memeber that ended up hanging about where the skid did but I dropped the tail shaft a good 1.5 inches. I have a 304 and did not have any prob with hitting the fire wall??? I got a small vib with a conventional shaft (16.5 inches) when I still had the model 20 rear. I really had no prblems till I built a centered d44 with equal length shafts so the pinion is now off center by about 2 inches so I am fighting two angles, oh well glad I don't have to drive it to work!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts