Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently aquired a running (but not driving) 74 CJ5 with the AMC 304 v8, and come to find out the 3spd t15 tranny maindrive gear is missing half the teath!:mad3: So here is my question, what tranny is a direct swap in for my weak t15? I read this thread which gave me a little info, but not enough. From what I gather a ford t18 may bolt up if I drill and tap some holes in the bell housing? Help Please!!:confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
unfortunately i couldnt tell you if it is a direct bolt in but the t-18 is an awesome tranny, ive got one in my cj, maybe look into a t-19 out of a scout with a 304, they are similar trannies and may bolt up as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The T14 is an exact fit, but not as strong. I quickly destroyed a perfectly good T14 with a 360. I'm pretty sure the 304 wouldn't take much longer to destroy it. Previous poster is right, T18 is nice, but if you want cheap, you should be able to find a cheap T15 or T150 used. It's been a while since I've done any work Jeep related, but if I recall, the T150 should be just about the same length as your T15 if you also swap the bellhousings.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
There`s nothing "weak" about the T-15. I beat the sh!t out of the one I had behind a stout 304 and never broke it. I`d try to find another one and run it till you can upgrade to a T-18.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Why not just fix what you have there? Rebuild it, run it for a while, then sell it later on when you can afford an upgrade to something else. I am sure there is someone out there looking for a fresh rebuilt T-15.

Just don't break it in the meantime.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For a little less money you could get a NP435 which I have been running for about 10 years now and I love it.... Beat the hell out of it and she keeps on ticking.... Good luck

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well problem solved for now, found a cheap replacement that was freshly rebuilt, but for the future I have heard good things about the np435 have to start saving though so I can do it right! Thanks for the info guys!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts