Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I picked up this '79 cj-7 this summer. It needed a lot of work including replacing the worn 304 with a 360. I have done a lot to this rig in the last few months. Now I'm moving to suspension. Here’s how it looked the day after arrival

I had to get it running ASAP after an accident in my Ranger.
This rig is currently serving DD duty but will be back to trail rig status as soon as we find another commuter car. So mostly trail runs, camping, busting around in the woods nothing to hard core but I want to get the most out of the rig.
The PO used Add-a-leafs front and rear with long ars shackles. It drives like crap. The bushing are worn (rubber) and the add a leaf ride rough.:eek:

Heres my plan. I ended up with some used 3" rear cj lift springs. I'm going to use shorter boomerang shackles (I think their a 3/4 lift) and set them around 40 to 45 degrees. I think they will flex better. I put a 20 Gal tank in so I can’t stretch any in the rear till I move it up or back EST.

My real questions are for the front. I bought and am going to use the M.O.R.E stubby SRS. I want to run Waggy fronts and up front for the stretch. I will probaly only use the Main and a few of the other leaf then mix in a few of my CJ rears to gain around 3". Does that sound like a fair assessment?
I'll use the same shackles as the rear.
Second I have searched and have not seen much as to what guys are doing with their steering after using Waggy front spring. I am staying sprung under. Will I need to move my box forward? M.O.R.E has a bracket that looks good. Moves it 1 3/4"... Anyone use this?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well maybe this question has been asked 500 times and I just can’t find them. After not getting much for answers I kept looking and found one guy that used the M.O.R.E. steering box relocation mount. But saw no feed back as to whether it sucked or not. I guess the other option would be high steer on at least the drag link. But I will be swapping in a 44 in the near future and would rather do that when I swap knuckles.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have gone through many leaf spring combinations in my CJ-7 over the last 20+yrs and the best all around set up for me has been the 4" spring, 3/4" over stock shackle spring under, shackle reversal 35" tire.
The best weekend warrior set up is the spring under 2.5" spring, 3/4" shackle, 33" tire. It will get you to hard core, but not much further:flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Using the m.o.r.e. box bracket on my cj, very solid piece and you dont have to run any other support. There is a 3 bolt steering box and a 4 bolt box, hopefully you have the 4, it just adds more support. Also if you need the drop pitman arm let me know.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear someone is using that bracket. I don’t think I'll need a drop pitman arm. But I have not started yet. I picked up some 3" rear yj lift springs I am planning on running in the rear with 3/4" boom shackles. I have a 1" body lift and will be trying to match the front springs to the rear height. I'll run the 33 till I get flat fenders up front and TJ flares. With correct bump stops. I think it'll work great with 35's. Any way thanks for replay.

I'm just trying to make sure I have parts to make the steering work with the SRS and Waggy springs I will update after I get going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts