1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CJ 7 with mogs. Lots of pics

This is a buddys Heep.
Drive train: 2002 Chevorlet 5.3, T 18, Atlas 3.8

Axles: narrowed Unimog 404s

PSC Full Hydro, with WEPS High Steer arms.

Dual Triangulated 4 link rear. Lower Links are 2" x 1/4" DOM RE large superflex joints at each end.
Upper links are 1 3/4" x 3/8" DOM

Wheel base is 110"

Just want to get a few opinions.

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Rear Upper link frame mounts in Solid Works

They were actually angled out before they were cut out but you get the Idea.

35 deg of triangelation for both upper and lower arms
147% antisquat
I will have 3 other mounting holes that will give me a total of 4 antisquats, 115%147%, 178% and 280%

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
B.A.R.K said:
Reguardless of the crossmemeber material, I think you need more bracing to support it in bending. Those swiss cheese gussets arent doing much. $0.02
There will be more gussets. it was modeled in solid works as 8x8 and then resized to 4x4 but the holes didn't resize with it.

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Todd W said:
Some of your welds look awesome (links) but some look very cold (link brackets), other than that I agree with Brett 240% AS :eek:

Take some pics o the full rig in day time looks like a fun buildup!
The 240% antisquat was easy just added another hole when cutting it out on the plasma table. If he doesn't use it, it's not in the way.

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
JeepinDoug said:
No opinion on the geometery.
The execution is great though.
BUT,
The truss is too thin as well as all the link tabs. The torque factor from those Mogs is gonna push stuff around.
Why would he use 1/4" lower links and 3/8" wall uppers?
I understand the links are higher than normal and outta the way but you want those lowers thick as hell, 1/2" wall.
Is the all-thread a high-carbon alloy?

All in all, the kid is doing a great job but I think I'm seeing a few problem areas.
The modulus of elacticity (sp?) of 2"x1/4" is stronger than 1 3/4" even if it was solid.
The all thread is 4140 I believe but not positive. He had a mechanical engineer run the numbers on everything.

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well tonight it drove under its own power. The hydraulic steering is run, but now we have to redo the front LCA. And we are planning on going to Hotsprings for Memorial day so we have alot to do. I will try and get some pics tommorow.

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
squirriljeep said:
Nice exhuast, even better cage and pos tires.
You forgot to say seats too :flipoff2:

It will have 42 michelins after memorial day. The exhaust had to be routed that way because of the skinny frame but it will have rocker gaurds that wrap around it. The cage is being built teusday. and hopefully the mounts hold up, It has 9 1/2" of vertical seperationon the rear, and 7 1/2" in the front and there are a bunch more gussets to add.

But we have to redo the front suspension, shorten the lowers and move them higher. It would have worked with the original design but there was no room for the uppers so the had to be shortened and it screwed everything up. Monday it get brakelines.

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
JeepinDoug said:
The lower link concern isn't as much in the torque bending. What happens to the lowers is they get hit by rocks and dent the thinner tubes. Once that happens they become very vulnerable to bending.
Being portals, the lowers are so high it's not as much as a concern but it would still be in my head all the time.
Remember, you loose a link and you loose alot more with it, ask Dan Dibble.
Just something to consider.
Since we have to cut down the lowers they will be sleeved. :)

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Frank TJ said:
Looks good Eric!!! I still wanna know if your gonna let me drive it?
Did you get Erics message? we were wondering if there was still room in the house, since our buddy backed out of the hotel room. :mad3:
And I am sure he will let you drive it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.