Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am swapping out front drum brakes on my CJ5 with stock discs. I have purchased the 6 bolt caliper mounts. Is there anything else I need, that I cant buy at the local parts store? Also I would like a brake booster and cant seem to find one for a 77 CJ. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can swap in a YJ booster- I did the same thing on my '73 CJ- I used the actuator rod from the YJ, and a pedal assembly from a 79 CJ. If you've got a V8 conversion with fenderwell headers, check for clearance.
I documented this swap with some digital photos, I can send them to you for reference if you want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to make sure that the caliper brackets were all I needed, to swap my front drums over to discs, as I am surethat I can purchase rotors and calipers at the local parts store. Thank you for help with the booster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
brake booster

I blew out the brake booster on my 78 cj-7 it had a 304 with disc front drum rear and i fixed it by using the brake booster and master cylinder from a 75 cherokee i have around for parts it is a little bigger than the stock cj-7 one but it fit and the mounting holes were the same the only thing i had to modify was the lenth of the rod that connects the plunger in the master cylinder to the pedal it wasnt hard at all and best of all it was cheap i dont know what the price of this would be from a junkyard but id imagine it wouldnt be much i dunno thought this might be a help to ya

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
The Waggie booster has such a large diameter that it interferes with the support rod from the firewall to the grille. That was the case on the one I tried to use out of my old '76 parts donor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the one i had was a tight fit but i managed to get it to fit in there but that was on a cj-7 so it may be diffrent on urs oh yeah the one i used was outta a 75 two door cherokee with a 360

1 - 8 of 8 Posts