Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am almost finished with my project and I am trying to rap up the brakes. I am using a 1979 Pontiac Fire Bird MC split into a T and directly to the front waggy 44 calipers. In the rear I am using a wilwood adjustable proportioning valve going back to a Ford 9 inch using CJ-7 rotors and Caddy calipers.

I am in the process of bleeding the brakes. The pedal feels awful and has a wierd dead spot when pressed right around the floor. It feels like I am bottoming out.

I know the pontiac is suppose to be the hot setup for the CJs. Did anyone have to do any rod modifications to get this to work right.

I bench bleed the master and the CJ booster is in good working order but I am getting no fluid at the wheels. I am thinking that I dont have enough rod to build pressure in the master.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. This is my first time into doing a whole new braking system.

Thanks

RK

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTT...come on guys . I need some insight..

RK

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
i did a 4w disk firebird MC in my CJ to replace the stock MANUAL MC.

not sure about the power MC on CJs, but the manual one had the brake rod mounted to the piston...I had to remove that and cut about an inch (maybe more) off of it, and use it with the firebird one that didnt have a rod built into the piston.

If your set up is like a YJ with power brakes you might need to add to the adjustment between the booster and the MC...I seem to recall CHarly on here had to do somehting like that.(I'm sure he'll say it was soemthing else and I'm an idiot though)

But might be worth looking into.

Sorry never dealt with a "CJ" type booster so no help there.

MJ

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the help of a friend, we seemed to have solved the problem. It turns out that the MC needs to be spaced about 7/16 from the booster.

I originally bolted it all together and it turns out that the MC was preloading on the CJ booster..

Everything seems to be OK now. My buddy chris saved the day.

RK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts