Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It hit me last night while getting ready to remove the body, the stock CJ brakes (manual) are not going to be up to the task of stopping (4) 38" tires on a dana 60 and 14 bolt with disc brakes.
Looking through some catalogs it looks like there are plenty of choices for up grades. All the axle swaps I have read about have not talked about master cylinder upgrade. What is the best way to go?

I see where a lot of people have made some trick setups for e brakes. It looks like a line lock from AWdirect 185.00 would be a good way to go. Any reason not to?

James

·
Registered
320 Posts
i would check out summit for the line lock, only 75 dollars. also i use a master power cylinder out of a 82 dodge truck, works great, scott

·
Registered
933 Posts
my friend got a line lock out of summit, for um like 50 bucks i think, he loves it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
make sure that whatever line lock or 'roll control' is suited for extended duty cycle. some are only intended for light service- to hold a car still (on flat asphalt) prior to a launch

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got mine from summit for $60. It works better than the mechanical parking brake system that you get with Cadillac calipers. I am using it with a chevy 1 ton master cylinder (1-1/8 bore I think) and the standard chevy calipers all round. I have heard that these line locks can ruin the seals in the master. Anybody know anything bout this?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
funflaty said:
I have heard that these line locks can ruin the seals in the master. Anybody know anything bout this?
I have worked with line locks quite a bit and many brake systems and have never seen this. All the pressure is AFTER the lock. Nothing on the master side. Not to say I am right but this is what I have seen.

James_Fendley...As for the master, do a SEARCH here and you will find a lot of different combos.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
While a Line-Lock or Micro Lock are nice they are NOT legal for and Emergency Brake. E-brakes have to be mechanically actuated, and applied.. Per FMVSS 108... Federal Motor Vehicle Saftey Standard. ....09

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've used the line lock from Hurst for 30 years, and its suits the purpose. However, it will drain a battery in 3-4 days if you are stupid and leave it accidently on.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
slopoke said:
well if we have 38" tires i dont think we are too worried about the legal aspect of it. but that is some interesting info.
try worrying about safety then.

its called an emergency brake for a reason. if the emergency happens to be your hydraulic system failing, then you're screwed if you only have a line-lock.

line-locks are great, but get a real e-brake backup too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yea well, since most of us on here dont drive our rigs on the street, the line lock seems to be a good choice. we use an emergency brake to hold our rigs on a hill. what if you trusted a cable actuated ebrake and it snapped,then your S. o. l. i actually had the stock ebrake setup on my cj and the bracket for it broke and the ebrake came off luckly i also had the tires chocked. i would trust the line lock more since it is simply keeping pressure on your existing brakes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I running disks all the way around on my CJ-5 (105" wb) , 60 front, 14bolt rear...
I am running manual brakes.... 68 corvette master cylinder (4wheel disk, manual)
Have no problems stopping my 39.5's on Hummer rims (HEAVY!)

I use 1/4 ball valves for line locking front and rear.....
Holds pressure for weeks at a time...
I use both for redundancy... incase one fails, the other axle will still be locked....

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I love my cheap ass line lock from Summit, w/ 4 wheel discs, and having it just in the rear I can winch a pretty good load while not in the vehicle (respolling w/ a vehicle as load).

·
Registered
29 Posts
So these linelocks that you all are talking about are electric? When I inquired a the local Performance shop they told me that the electric style would burn up is turned on for more than a couple of minutes and I had to use a mechanical lock. Sounds like this is not true. Anybody want to share any model numbers they have had good luck with. I know that JC Whitney sells some mechanical for about 30 but it would be a pain to run brake lines in and out of the cab.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tators said:
I use 1/4 ball valves for line locking front and rear.....
Holds pressure for weeks at a time...
I use both for redundancy... incase one fails, the other axle will still be locked.... [/B]
What brand and psi ball valves? Where did you get them?
In my past life I made ball valves for Newport News Shipbuilding.

Tators please post a picture of your 105" CJ5

Thanks

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I heard the same thing about leaving the electrical locks on for long periods. I didn't want to take the chance of my "too damn expensive" rig rolling down the side of the mountain. The tech guys I spoke w/ were very adament about this...

I ran my lines through the floor board underneath my driver seat and attached the line lock to the the seat bracket. Works like a charm, just hang my left arm down, and she's locked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts