Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that nobody knows more about Jeeps than the people in the Jeep forum. Unfortunately, I need Jeep-related advise, and unfortunately, I know I will get flamed for asking. If however, maybe one person could offer some help, I will pay for it with as many cold and abrasive words as it might take...

You guys last laughed me out of the forum when I stated that I would be using a vacuum-disconnect Dana 30, with a V-8 and 35's. Indeed you guys were harsh, but I took the advise to heart, and I found a Dana 44 from a.....Gasp!....early Ford Bronco. I know the pinion angle is low, and I know the U-joints are small, but it's a Dana 44, and it's the only narrow-width, drivers-side differential, I could manage to find for the price of $60. I now have dual Dana 44's, that are about the same width...

But the Bronco 44 uses a 5 on 5.5" bolt circle pattern, and the Comanche rear 44 uses a small 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. Obviously, my interest is in getting the bolt-patterns to match up, without having to find a whole different axle housing. I've been told that Jeep CJ models with a Dana 44 rear, used a 5 on 5.5" pattern. I am hoping that my worst-case scenario is getting custom-made axleshafts with the proper pattern, and then bolting on the rear brakes from a CJ model. Is this possible??? Will the backing-plates off a CJ D44 interchange with a late 80's MJ D44??? Taking it a step further, is there any chance that CJ axleshafts would interchange with the Comanche D44???

If only one person could answer the question, I will gladly acknowledge my presence as being unwanted, my status as being a little fucking newbie, and I will leave for good.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
The shafts will not work. I think all but the d44's in some '86 CJ's were 19 spline 2 piece axles. The '86 ones were 30 spline, but they are not the correct width. I would either get a small wheel spacer that will correct the pattern or if the flange is large enough have the current axles redrilled for the larger pattern. I think axles from Moser or Dutchman are only $99-150 each if you have to buy new ones.

You should be able to bolts the CJ brakes if you get all the parts. look for the larger 10x2 finned drums. You could just have the MJ drums re-drilled too.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
DE Jeeper said:
The shafts will not work. I think all but the d44's in some '86 CJ's were 19 spline 2 piece axles.
All 70-1/2 to '75 CJ 44's are 30 spline forged axles. There were also 10 spline two piecers prior to the 19 spliners.

Unfortunately the noted 30 spliners are not a good match width wise.

A Scout 44 would probably be a good match width wise (around 59") and does have the 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ditto on the scout rear axle. I dont know about where you are but around here they are cheap. I picked one up for less than 30 bucks last year.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Why does every 4x4 guy think they need to match bolt patterns?

·
Registered
469 Posts
MC said:
Why does every 4x4 guy think they need to match bolt patterns?
b/c adversity brings upon improvisationalism... rotationalization of the tires. :flipoff2: needing to use a spare, perhaps someone elses spare... 5x5.5 is pratically universal... and are easier to find than 6 and 8 lug wheels... 5x4.5 is suck... :D the bigger question is "why does everyone think you need the same tires on the front and rear?" in which case you might want matching bolt patterns so you can mix it up that way ;)

im only chiming in b/c im bringing a waggy 6 lug down to 5x5.5 soon :p

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
LOL

You guys spend soo much time and money so you can rotate tires and because of spare issues or because you dont have the right rims, but hey to each his own. I could never go back to 5 lug on my cj7 thats not enough lugs for the power my motor puts out

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
MC said:
LOL

You guys spend soo much time and money so you can rotate tires and because of spare issues or because you dont have the right rims, but hey to each his own. I could never go back to 5 lug on my cj7 thats not enough lugs for the power my motor puts out
Please enlighten us O'great one!

How do you carry one spare that fits two bolt patterns?

BTW, in my humble opinion, its tire size that dictates appropriate bolt pattern, not engine size. Plenty of race cars get by without 8 lug axles...

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Ooops sorry Keith Strong I forgot you speak for everybody here..

I know why dont we clone you, then we will all have the same opinion!

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
:D FuGGER

·
Registered
424 Posts
MonsterGM,
What tranny are you running? I only aks, cuz with the EB D44, and a the YJ automatic you may run into front driveshaft clearance issues with the auto's tranny pan. If you are SOA, you should have enough clearance, if you SUA there will probablyt be an issue. The EB D44 pumpkin sits more center line than the factory axle.

You can upgrade the front shafts from Tom's Bronco, that are cut down F250 shafts with the larger u-joint (X297 vs. the smaller x260 joint).

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Monster,

I'll second (third?) the Scout 44, you'll be good to go.

Also, just because you have found a D44 for cheap, doesn't mean you should get it. If you have to spend an assload getting it to what you need, then you really haven't saved anything.

I mean look at MC, just because he has a 401 doesn't mean that he's not an assbag. :flipoff2:

Patients grasshoppa! Know what you want and keep an eye out for it, you'll find it. :D

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
IndyCJ said:
Monster,

I'll second (third?) the Scout 44, you'll be good to go.

Also, just because you have found a D44 for cheap, doesn't mean you should get it. If you have to spend an assload getting it to what you need, then you really haven't saved anything.

I mean look at MC, just because he has a 401 doesn't mean that he's not an assbag. :flipoff2:

Patients grasshoppa! Know what you want and keep an eye out for it, you'll find it. :D
What he said ... especially the part pertaining to MC. *gag* *barf*

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
:eek: Dink links:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Doesn't everyone know that even a Scout axle thinks MC's a tool.

consider this mooooooved

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and be different...

Instead of a scout 44, get a EB 9-inch. What better to match your EB front? Stronger, too, and about the easiest axle in the world to upgrade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts