Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on it being pretty mild 21/2 lift on 33's i'd like to keep the 241 just for the shift on the fly the lenth is what I'm worried about thxs

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I don't think that would be a 4500 trans behind a 318 in a half ton. You had better double check before you find out it isn't what you thought it was or pay too much money for it.
Travis..

·
Registered
850 Posts
twin stick your dana 300, that will give you a shift on the fly. is the dodge front axle a passenger side drop? then you might be stuck with having to use the 241. i dont think the 318 is much longer than a gm 350, and that swap has been done a time or two in the past.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Not enough room in a CJ5 for a NV4500 unless you are planning on stretching it...a lot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Too long if you are not planning a stretch! Also, like they said above- check on that trans, 4500's should not be in 1/2 ton trucks. T

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its a 4500 they were standard in 92 and 93 the drivetrane is only 3 inchs longer than the iron duke sr4 300

·
Registered
850 Posts
find a grille from a DJ [postal jeep] that will give you about three more inches forward.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Does the 241 have a slip yoke or is it have a bolted on output yoke ? I don't think anyone makes a sye for a 241 . If it has a slip yoke then switching to a 231 with a sye will gain some drive shaft length .

Supposedly , the input shaft/planetary drum from the 241 will bolt right into the front of a 231 ,so your output shaft in trans and adapter can be reused and then a sye added to the 231 , making it quite a bit shorter . Oh , the 241 planetary is 100% stronger , as
it has 6 gears instead of 3 as a 231 has .

For anybody reading :This is an easy way to hook up a chevy engine and trans to your 241/231 to make an easy , cheap swap

Are you going to lengthen it ? your quite a bit shorter then my cj-7 and I'm always worried about drive shaft length .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts