Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 CJ7 with a 4.0 and Sunray 1550 in the front. I want to change out the leaf springs for a 4 link. I have done a search on this and found lots of info on how to do it, but one question remains, how do you clear the transmission. It seems the cross member would be right accross the bottom and not give you any room for the brackets?

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
You don't really need a crossmember, unless you are dead set on using an "upper side" mount for the arms, that is in the middle of the vehicle. Get your arm triangulation by centering the uppers ON THE DIFF instead.. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am going to center them on the diff, then run the other end back to the cross member or frame Tha back location is what I am not sure about.

It may be a self correcting problme with some other changes at the same time, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks that is what I was looking for...I know it can be done but just was not seeing it....

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
should have added. The lowers go to the underside of the frame rail.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
if you attach anything to the inside of the frame rail be certain to add lots of plating. Reinforce the piss out of it.

i learned the hard way:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Looks like you may have maxed out the rod ends with them being mounted with the bolt going vertical.

Just an observation.

We have some upper control arm frame brackets that make triangulating your uppers a breeze....

Check them out....HERE

Let me know if I can help you out.

-Kenneth
plenty of people run them like this and no issues. the heims are fine and don't even come close to maxing out- long control arms take care of that. Anyways, the rear uppers on my jeep have been mounted like that for 4+ years and they have held up fine.

the inside frame rail on the CJ is EXTREMELY thin right there. Plating will take care of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts