Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what front springs people are running on soa CJs and how they are working out for ya.

I just put 2.5" superlifts SOA in the front, and they went flaaaaat.
(They were cheap that why I tried em)
The 2.5" rears are fine.

I have the option of moving my hangers, so longer springs could work for me as well.

Just looking for first hand experiences...what y-all have tried that you didnt like, and why...I have read alot about the "trendy springs" of the month that people seem to like.

I'm looking at going with some lifted rears in the front just looking to narrow the field, and get some real world, "I've done it" type info all in one little thread.

Thanks.

MJ:D

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
MJ - It seems a real popular front spring on this board are Waggy 44044(Rancho) front springs. They'll extend your wheelbase by two inches to boot.

Search on Waggy Springs thread title only and you find good info on them. I am about to put some stock waggy's on the rear of my SOA CJ7.

Go here:
Waggy springs

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I run the Rubicon Express 1.5" spring over springs they work great and they seam to be carring the load just fine

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I'm running 2.5" RE Wrangler springs @ all 4 corners. No problems w/ em yet.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I am running Wrangler springs. I chopped the ends of the main leaf from another set of Wrangler springs and added that to the spring pack directly under the main leaf. As I recall the Wrangler spings were 6 leaf (for the hardtops) + extra main leaft for 7 leaf. Haven't gone any flatter in the last 2 years and if they do they are really cheap to replace. Lots of YJ springs laying around people have taken off. They either give them to you or sell them really cheap, like mabe $10/spring or less.

Here is what the front spring intall looked like.

Here is how the Jeep set with 33" mud terrains and it stuffed then into the fenders with the rear trimed as high as possible. Very flexy. Its got 35 MTR's now. I 'm going to rock crawler hood and 37" Krawlers as soon as they come out or my buddy can get me a slightly used set.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses!

the YJ springs look just about like where my CJ front 2.5"ers sit.
Hmm maybe I'll try adding a leaf.

I have a few packs I could cut up.

Keep the info coming.

As I said I'm well aware of the more popular choices of late, just looking to see what else people have tried and how they lasted, and worked.

Thanks again.

MJ

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have installed 44044' s all the way around on my cj7. They are installed with some wrangler lift shackles that are 5.75" long.

They are to high for my likeing. My 38" SX's are even with the bottom of the body (no body lift). I have removed one leaf from each pack to get them sagging a little. This seems much better. I will also make the shackles a little shorter and move the mounts to improve the shackle angle.

My junk is still in the garage so I can't say how this is going to work yet.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
High5 said:
i run jc whitney 7 leaf hd rear springs for a cj at all 4 corners.
This is what I am running too. I am about to put some stock waggy fronts, in the rear though to get a little extra wheelbase.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Rokcrler said:
Im running BDS 2.5" CJ springs SOA and running 38 TSLs. Ive had them on for 5yrs and NO sag...

Mo
Any better pics of your shackle reversal?? Did you extend the front frame horns at all?

BDS are good springs, and the warranty can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Close up

Ive got 10" extension on front with front spring rear hangers, but im going to cut them off the frame and move them down 3" after tellico...

Mo

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My buddy runs stock 3 leaf chevy front springs.He clears 38" boggers.I just started building my CJ-5.I am putting chevy axles on with rancho 2.5" lifted chevy springs in front.These sat flat when they were on my Blazer.They flexed really well.The last set up on the blazer had 2" longer shackles and 10" travel shocks.These were too short.Blazin

·
Registered
130 Posts
MJ,

I ran wranglers with an extra leaf and they started to sag after a year of wheeling. so I went to Toyota leaves and they have been the champ.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Anyone ever run scout II stock fronts in the front of a heep?
I have a set here....look pretty decent as far as arch, and the leaves are fairly thick...I'd imagine they would be stiffer since the scoutII was a pig.

Just dont want to to go to all the trouble :rolleyes: and find out they arent any better, or they ride like a buckboard. (not really a problem, just not ideal)

MJ

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Umm... lemme think about it for a minute...... No.
I took off the drop pitman arm and replaced it with a longer waggy unit for more turning radius. It would actually be best to run high steer but being that it works well just like it is, why change it. Its pieced together at an angle that i get NO bumpsteer and still allows me to have decent turning with the Scout axles with waggy knuckles and ford outters.

I'll be more than happy to change it for you if you'd like to contribute to the fund...

Mo

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the responses.

Added ~1" of lift to the front end today.
Cut off the ends of Scout II front main leafs, and also used the next leaf down, so my front packs have six leaves each now.

The 2.5" leaf packs I had on originally went waaay flat...adding those leaves made a noticeable difference.

My shackle ange is much better, plenty of droop, and looks like they will flex well.
Best part is I used junk I had laying around the shop.
Heres the after pic (Ignore the rear it will be chopped maybe as early as today :flipoff2: )

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts