21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Some more shots of the rear links and rear chassis starting to take shape:
Auto part Vehicle Machine Chassis Car

Vehicle Auto part Car Chassis Suspension

Just the bare minimum trimming to get the tub to sit back on. I knew that cutting was just a start when we did it, but little did I know the sheet metal massacre yet to come!

Floor Wood Table Vehicle

Used the Beast notcher to clearance the rear tub crossmember for the chassis rails:
Floor Machine Flooring Table Hardwood

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Moving forward to the front of the chassis next.

We mocked up the front sheet metal to check clearances, also visible is the Artec Chevy D60 truss:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Bumper

Bent up some frame rails and positioned them:

Auto part Machine Toolroom Engine Machine tool

Laying out the upper link brackets on the Artec truss:

Auto part Machine tool Machine Metal Engine

And fabbing the frameside upper link brackets. If you look closely, you can see that the rocksliders have also been integrated into the chassis in this pic.
Also, the boxed in sub floor pan structure found here on CJ/YJ tubs has been removed for clearance:

Auto part Pipe Metal

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
very nice
Thanks! I again want to stress that Deadlew/Paul is doing a lot of the "heavy lifting" on this project, and deserves much credit.

More front end work...Upper links mocked up:

Auto part Vehicle Engine Suspension Car

Cozy clearance with Ron Davis radiator mocked up:

Pipe Auto part Machine Metal

Winch plate added. I started with a Barnes 4wd plate but ended up tapering the front face in two dimensions and adding some dimple die speed holes. There will be some front tube work tied into this further along in the build. Guess my trusty 15 year old Warn X8000i is another "heritage" component of this build:D:

Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car Auto part

Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
is that sorry note on the pass side headlight? :):D
Ha! Just some unintelligible dimensions that will get thrown away at some point and end up being crucial!

Speaking of headlights, think I'll be going the LED headlight route similar to what you did in your build (which I'm enjoying, btw) for mounting depth (and aesthetic :smokin:) reasons.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
nice work man!

not sure if your already doing this but you should put something like this at the end of that tube that ties the front upper link mounts in to the rock slider... make pulling the tub easier if you ever plan on that.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2071.html
Thanks!

If flanging that one tube would make the rails removable, I'd do it in a heartbeat but they're tied in at 5 points total per side now. Placing the tub will be an exercise in precision :D. If it proves to be to be even more of an issue than anticipated, I might resort to something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Great looking build. I did mine a few years back and decided to run parallel uppers outside the frame rails, triangulate the lowers in the rear to keep it low and not cut into the rear seat floor.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Great looking build. I did mine a few years back and decided to run parallel uppers outside the frame rails, triangulate the lowers in the rear to keep it low and not cut into the rear seat floor.
Thanks! I'm not running a back seat, so no worries there.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Very cool build, If you think you had room issues try working with a 1974 Cj5 frame. Add an auto trans.......a doubler...........a Dana 300 t case.........dual 2 1/4 exhaust.......... Dodge D60 and a GM 14 in the rear, but I still feel your pain.:D

21 - 40 of 146 Posts