Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just scored a 75 CJ5 and a 79 CJ7 I am going to make the cj5 my trail rig but I am not done gathering parts yet so I want to start building the CJ7 as a mild wheeler and driver, I wanted to know how the thing would handle with a 350 and a SOA with 35's or should I run a 3-4 inch lift and run 33's for those kinds of usage, like I said it will be wheeled on the weekends but it still must be able to drive during the week and to the trail, not a DD but will be driven pretty often Looking for first hand expeirence. Thanks Guys. Pics would be great also.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also Has anyone seen this hood for CJ's lower cg is always better so I might mimic the JP Magazine TJ buildup that had 35's and no lift, I might have to move the rear axle backwards 1~2 inches and run this fiberglass hood. Anyone done a big tire little lift buildup of a CJ like this?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My soa cj7 on 35s drove almost as good as it did with 3" lift sua on 33s.:smokin:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Here's my 79 CJ-5, SOA on Scout/Waggy 44's with 35's. It drives fine on the street, although I don't drive it on the street that much.

I see those hoods alot...everytime I got down to 4Wheelers for parts (I'm in Phoenix). I'm not sure I follow your logic and how the hood ties in with a lower cog and moving the rear axle back, but unless you're building a very flexy suspension with lots of up travel, you don't need that hood. Even when I had stock fenders I didn't rub at full stuff.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My logic would be really big tires with little to no lift....like the building up of a TJ in JP magazine.......that hood would allow me alot of clearance over the front tires.

BJB - was your Cj on stock axles or something wider? any pics?

·
Registered
384 Posts
IWish4A69Camaro said:
My logic would be really big tires with little to no lift....like the building up of a TJ in JP magazine.......that hood would allow me alot of clearance over the front tires.
OK, that makes sense and is a good idea. I'd be happy with a lower center of gravity :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think I could easily run a 35 inch tire with TJ flares and a set of really soft 2.5 inch lift spring or even some YJ spring, then clock the t-case and run a full flat belly skid plate, that would be awesome in my opinion.

·
Registered
492 Posts
On keepin it low....

I'm all for minimizing lift to lower cog, but there has to come a point of diminishing returns because, while you lower your center of gravity, you reduce your breakover, approach, and departure angles.

Also, when minimizing lift, you are forced to limit up travel- if you plan to drive your rig at any speed off road you may want to consider how much up travel you are going to need. Granted, you don't need much, but 2" uptravel and soft springs can lead to some jarring rides when you are pouring it on over washboards.

One last thing to keep in mind: the length and width of your rig has alot to do with stability (Duh). So, gainining 6" of axle width and a few inches of lenght is going to go along way toward counteracting the COG drawbacks of a SOA/ SUA lift.

FYI- TBI 350, SOA on 35's and D44's here, too. Drives better than stock, IMO- just remember it aint no sports car:D

·
Registered
492 Posts
k7mto said:
Here's my 79 CJ-5, SOA on Scout/Waggy 44's with 35's. It drives fine on the street, although I don't drive it on the street that much.

I see those hoods alot...everytime I got down to 4Wheelers for parts (I'm in Phoenix). I'm not sure I follow your logic and how the hood ties in with a lower cog and moving the rear axle back, but unless you're building a very flexy suspension with lots of up travel, you don't need that hood. Even when I had stock fenders I didn't rub at full stuff.

NICE 5 :smokin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts