Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to Pirate4x4 and I have some questions.
Hey all,

I am doing a SOA on my 79 CJ7 and am ready to weld my rear shock mounts on the axle. I previously had a 4" Procomp spring under lift and I am running the RS9116s in the rear. They are 24.40 Extended Length and 14.79 Collapsed Length. I am using the stock upper mounts. I am wondering about my compression of the shock. When I mock up the mount on the axle so that it
is flush with the axle tube, I only have around 2" of up travel before the shock bottoms out. I really do not want to have the shock mount to hang lower than the bottom of the tube. I know I need extended bump stops, but 2" seems pretty small up travel.
SO as an option, I mocked up a center mount shock option andsnapped some pics. The page is at http://65.26.245.28/shock/shockpage.html
I used some thin angle iron as a mock up for a center mount shock option. Unfortunately, I cannot move the crossbar up because I have my air tank mounted there. I am also pretty close to the muffler, but I can have that rebent. The amount of up travel is 3"(how much of the shock rod is showing). What is the "average"?
If you look close, you can see the stock bumpstop and the distance between it and the spring plate is pretty large. I am going to get extended bumpstops. How far out on the tube should the lower shock mount be?
What do y'all think of this type of setup?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
475 Posts
first: :flipoff2: (all newbie get it)
second: use the search feature, then ask questions
third: give us all the needed info so we can give an informed response. What springs, what axle, what size tire, .....

Shocks at an angle don't work as well as shocks that are verticle. Get a shock that is the right length or figure out how to extend the top mount.

Expect to get flamed because this is a very basic question. Its a good idea to read alot of the other posts to get a feel for this place before you start posting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
just cut a couple holes in the floor behing the seats and make a mount to the cage, or in my case off the frame through the floor, works great other than the kids bitching about getting bumped by the shocks !!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mount at angle OK

I had my shocks mounted just like you show on the rear and it worked great. I called Rancho before I mounted them wondering about mounting them at angle and it does not effect them as much as you would think(45deg-50%not true). Mine worked fine, I say go for it. It sure did allow for me to get the much needed travel. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts