Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to stretch my CJ, but I do not want to relocate my gas tank. So I am trying to find some info on stretching the front. Since I can not use the search function for this site, I am asking what are my options. How much, what springs, etc.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would guess XJ leaf springs or 4 link it. Either way you will probably have to do something clever with your steering box.

·
Registered
325 Posts
check out bluetorchfab.com, they have a bunch of parts for doing that. they also have a fuel cell that can be used in the stock location and still move the axle back 4 inches or so

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have a 79' CJ7 with a WB of 105". I did a shackle reversal and pushed the front out about 5". I 4 linked the rear and got the rest of my stretch. I shorted the body so my tires stick out past the back of the Jeep.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I stretched min a couple of inches in the front with Rancho 4044s, by the time I moved my steering box and everyhting it was a pain. I stetched it 10 inches in the rear by using dakota springs. I made a new crossmember but I guess you don't have to if you don't want to. What I'm saying is you should take another look at moving the tank, it's well worth it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
No, that is my custom bucket seat! Was waiting on some Mastercraft Rubicon seats.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
cdub0451 said:
Either way you will probably have to do something clever with your steering box.
Agreed. If your really looking to move the front forward a good ways you may consider a reverse action steering box, I think they came on Chevy Astro Vans. Or there's always full hydro but that's another story all together.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
i'm just finishing up a 3 link with panhard for the front of my CJ. Finished the rear last week. WB of 105 ish with 37s 90 degree approach and departure angles. But I wouldn't link the front if you're leaving the back with leaves.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
LCAC_Man said:
Agreed. If your really looking to move the front forward a good ways you may consider a reverse action steering box, I think they came on Chevy Astro Vans. Or there's always full hydro but that's another story all together.
X2 I went with full hydro.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
I know you dont want to move your gas tank, but is that a hard fast rule or are you wiling to maybe move it? If you went to a hydro front that sure would make stretching the front out easier. What a Genrite heres a stretch package...

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=EXTPKG

or just a new tank which may help you out some...dont know how much you want to stretch it out...how much?

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GST-2004

I know its not a huge stretch but heres a start.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Jay5.9L said:
wow I like the kit alot!
Are you fawking serious? 1200 for a gas tank, corner guards and rockers?

Brand new 19 gallon tank from summit - $259

4.5" grinder from harbor freight - $17.99

10 pack cut-off wheels - $4.99 (if that)

New rockers from Shrockworks (my favorite) - $289

That adds up to a grand total of $570.98 Half price.

So what you need to do is just buy a cell, cut a hole behind the rear seat, mount it 3-4 inches up into the back. Then hack the fenders and voila you have room to stretch. Don't be a fool and pay someone 1200 for that crap. you could move all your stuff AND link your rear for 1200 bucks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I said I liked the kit but I never said I liked the price. Its a great idea for people with who don't have the skills to get a few more inches. No cutting into their floors, all the peices matched, no guess work....remember is the noob forum. I wonder hot thick the corner guards are... if they are anything close to PSC's you would have to add a few hundred to yout total :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts