Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 40 of 410 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Why not just extend the frame in front of the leaf spring mount? That way the tire stays lined up with the fender.

Couple reasons.
1 to move my tank away from the axle to fit the big ass 60 diff.

Yes I am on a budget so a slick gen right isn't in the works for right now.

2 it allowed me to move my hangers up so that I don't get 7 inches of lift from the spring over.

3 it makes my frame flat on the bottom. You'll see when I get to those pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Finally somebody who knows what they are doing

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Spring hanger and shackle mount. Ruffstuff shackles

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
And back together again...

Me: "Sammy smooth out these welds so I can plate it"

Sammy: ok

Me: "jeez are you done yet I wanna get the axle in there"

Sammy: "almost"

Me: "damn, maybe I should have you do the whole frame....."

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here is how she sits as of right now, I haven't had any extra jeep time.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Frame reinforcement

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
what are you using for the dimple dies on the hood?

It was a really technical process, I put a piece of 8x8 tubing on my table and set the die on it and set the hood on the die the smacked the other end with a sledge hammer. It was actually a pain in my ass. They are 1 1/4 holes.

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
And back together again...
Holy shitballs, what's the wall thickness and plate on that tube? Is that your frame extension? Or are my eyes all wonky?

I like your ideas, great project.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Holy shitballs, what's the wall thickness and plate on that tube? Is that your frame extension? Or are my eyes all wonky?

I like your ideas, great project.

It 2x4 .250 wall because the curve on the corner matched the frame the closest. The 1/2 inch plate made it wide enough, and the inner part of the frame is not as tall as the top so it was close to matching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Little more reinforcement

I think I'm gonna move the fuel tank up a bit since I gotta redo those ugly ass cross members in back the bumper mount is twisted all to shit

·
Registered
89 Posts
Solid start to this thread! That battery box looks clean. Makes me want to invest in a dimple die set. Killer shop you have access to! Keep the pics coming.

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
It 2x4 .250 wall because the curve on the corner matched the frame the closest. The 1/2 inch plate made it wide enough, and the inner part of the frame is not as tall as the top so it was close to matching.

OK, it looked thicker than 0.25 to me. I was thinking 0.375.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Solid start to this thread! That battery box looks clean. Makes me want to invest in a dimple die set. Killer shop you have access to! Keep the pics coming.

The dimples in the box are from dies we spun on the lathe late night with beer. They were harder to ring and way more expensive back then, m new 1.25 I bought and makes a way better dimple, but sometimes you just want a small lip I guess.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Between my boss and I, we have some good stuff. I got a bender he buys different dies for it all the time. Plasma cutters, welders, couple brakes, sheet metal roll, dry cut saw, horizontal band saw(really big one) got a mill and a lathe too. Oh and an iron worker for shearing, braking and punching holes

And I just ordered a CNC plasma table...

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm in harvest season right now so progress is stopped lol. I did get some parts though new fuel tank sender and grommets, heim set for the trac bar. Gonna order 10 tube adapters and steering arms from ruffstuff. I need a little help though. From somebody who has cut up their tub on a yj or cj7, I need 2, 14.5 inch pieces of the top of the tub where the top sits on. The angled part would be hard to replicate with my brake. Maybe just like the top 3 inches or so? Anybody know of someone that could help me out?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Well no time for working on her, but I got a bunch of ruffstuff goodies. Gotta hand it to them guys, they forgot to put in the springless hardware, and promptly sent it out. I also ordered my steering heims without tube, since I have it already and get it way cheaper. Well shit they sent me tube, so when I told them about the springless stuff missing, I also told them about the free tube and they said just keep it, it's not worth the shipping to get it back. Awesome guys in there so far

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I did get a lil wrenching in last night, although it wasn't on the jeep, but my boy still wanted to help

Yes I feel like a cool kid who finally got a traeger

21 - 40 of 410 Posts