Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to get the key to turn off? I originally suspected it may be the column shift safety mechanism that won't allow you take out the key unless it is in "PARK" but I think it should still allow you to turn the engine off. In my case I can only turn it from "ON" to "START".

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I believe the 76 had a GM style (square key) column. If this is the case, it has a rod that extends down the inside of the column that activates the actual switch that is located at the bottom of the column. It could be that the interlock mechanism, activation rod, or lock/ key mechanism has something broken, which you would have to figure out by disassembling the column.

It is also possible that the switch itself has gone bad. You can check this by removing the rod from the switch and seeing if the key mechanism moves freely once it is disconnected...if it does, it's a bad switch, if not it's a problem inside the column.

Exploded view:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with a gm column and found the plastic gear had lost a couple teeth (item 19 in picture) had a spare column that I robbed it from after dealer said not in stock. Need to pull steering wheel and lock cylinder to get to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...I was finally able to get the lock cylinder out and it's froze in the 'ON' position. I have a new one on it's way. I did have to loosen everything to get it out because the shop manual states you need to turn the key to the 'OFF' position.

resqme: Do you know an easy wasy to adjust the ignition switch? I was thinking that I could put the key in the 'ON' position and then slide the ignition switch up to where the 'START' (this is spring loaded against the rod) is just starting to engage and then tighten it down. The manual's suggestion seems to assume that the steering column is out of the vehicle where you can easily see all the key positions on the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Not sure exactly what you are trying to acheive with adjustment here. The switch itself has a small amount of adjustment (1/4" or so) in terms of where on the column it is mounted. This would rotate the key position just enough to take care of minor adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts