Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Today, I tackled the unpleasant task of cleaning and degreasing all the the other parts I needed to do. I got rid of my parts washer last year, as it took up too much room for the few times it's used. I now just use a big bus tub when needed, and rinse with a hose. It works but, presents a problem with the tranny and tcase. So today I tried something new.

I do a lot of BBQ, so last year I ran a hot water faucet outside to my outdoor kitchen. Today I Hooked it up to the pressure washer and instant hot stream power washer. Worked the nuts.

All cleaned up

·
The Piratenite
30,419 Posts
lol, I did the same thing today but on the other end.
I uses a 2.5 gallon bucket with kerosene in it and my garage sink with hot water.
my pressure washer hooked up to hot water is badass.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've got some new 9 inch brake parts. If you need anything let me know. Got a new master too. I don't think I'll be using any of it.
I have most of,what I need, but I know I need the rear wheel cylinders. I'm good on the master, I picked up a dual conversion kit.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
lol, I did the same thing today but on the other end.
I uses a 2.5 gallon bucket with kerosene in it and my garage sink with hot water.
my pressure washer hooked up to hot water is badass.
The pressure washer with hot water was very impressive

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Planned on getting the rear axle together and painted, but ran into a problem. When I tighten the pinion yoke nut, the yoke gets to hard to turn.

I'm wondering if I have the wrong pinion seal. It seems the raised lip on the seal Hits the dust shield on the yoke.

Anyone have an ideal?

After this I thought I would paint and imstall the Ross box. When I start fiddling with it, something doesn't seem right.

The tube, and the shaft are bent. :shaking: And my other Ross box has a broken ear on it. So I pulled the shaft from that one and made one good one.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well if I'm going to wheel the 3A, I figured it was time to replace my homemade driveshafts.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Like Nofender said, It's humbling working on these old jeeps, A simple pinion seal kicked my butt this week. Ends up that, the seal was in correct, buts it a newer style and does not fit with the pinion dust shield in place,

I had to cut it off, and I'm back on track

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
After pretty much getting the 3A cooling issue squared away, it was time to start thinking about the 3B. I have a pretty good start on parts for it, but still need some things, So During my morning scan of CL. I find a 54 3b, The ad has all the good stuff, rebuilt this, new that, runs and drives needs bla bla bla. For a real good price, figure there is more to the story, but I make the call and find out its pretty much as described the lady says. The main thing I am looking for is a nice tub, and a running engine, and soft top, and if those are true it's a good deal. It was about 2 hours up in Maine, and since I store my trailer about an hour from my house, I was looking at 3+ hours to get there, so I figured I'd grab the trailer today, and go up tomorrow.

I call the lady and she says she has gotten 7 calls since placing the ad this morning, and 2 people are coming in the morning. Change of plans, get the trailer and get up there. I get there and it's better than described. She bought it 5 years ago from a guy who just rebuilt it, everything but paint. Axles, trans and TC, all look to be rebuilt, frame is mint, better than the good 3b frame I have here, soft top is new, Tub is a replacement tub, With the slightest surface rust starting to show.

Then I get the icing on the cake. The lady goes "oh, and I forgot, it has a new engine." 😛 She goes on to explain, that 2 years ago, she was having overheating issues, so she brings it to her mechanic, who can't find a problem with the cooling system, so he pulls the engine to look into it. He does not find the cooling problem, but finds a crack on the block. So she said she got a new rebuilt engine, so I figure it has to be better than what I have. The Cooling problem ended up being the fan.

I get it home and look through the paperwork, and she bought a complete fresh rebuilt engine from these guys! MDR Engines - About Us Who look to be the real deal! I might even still have 1 year of warranty left😊

I am so pumped, even has an OD, It has some bubba issues. Like an electric fan, and fuel pump, but nothing I can't undo.

I going too look at it closer this weekend, but I'm thinking I will use this as it is, as a build platform. Might not even paint it, It's black primer with some surface rust...I kind of like the look.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have the tacked together tub, 2 sets of good fenders, mint windshield frame, grill and 1 set of fiberglass fenders. Those all go together for $600. I have the f head of unknown cond, that's free. I have the front and rear axles front is complete, rear is missing hubs all brake stuff. $100 for the 2

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This thing is clean, The seller said there was a problem with the front end, it pulled and drove strange, which I confirmed when I drove it...found one front hub locked.

Bonus, a Warn OD

It also appears the builder had a bug for metal work, he made little things like the battery box and a cover for the fuel tank.

21 - 40 of 101 Posts