Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Some people should not try fabrication :eek: we all know there are lots of opinions on fender well mounted rollbars, I for one, think they do provide a small margin of safety for the light wheeling i do, if mounted properly to a solid tub.

the one on the 3b i just picked up is not how to do it! would hate to see what happens in a roll. They even had a racing harness attached to it

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It's nice having a stash of parts, I went to my Willys storage shed, and pulled out some steel wheels with some good tires, looks so much better than with the short fat swampers. I'm a Swamper fan, but not those.

Also so grabbed one of my favorite old school aftermarket parts, a original Con-Fer storage seat.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Can you take some detailed pics of that storage seat? I saw one the other day and would love to replicate it on my build. Looks much better with the wheel and tire swap!

Wes

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
just having that red stripe on the wheels removed, makes it look so much better.

Damn, it actually does look really good all flat black. I like that alot!

"murdered" as they used to say. :laughing:

Please paint the headlight bezels and gas cap :)

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
once its branded...it stays!

and i finally figured out what all these buttons and switches are. I have to say, while some of it isn't my taste, and sketchy, like the rollbar, the builder did a lot good work, the electrical is a quality reproduction harness, and all connection are done right, its not a pile of twisted wire and tape. he has the wipers controlled by a master switch, and the other switch was for driving lights that are gone. The push buttons are L & R motorcycle turn signals, and i found a hidden kill switch. All done with good heatshrunk connections.

My original plan, much like the other Jeep was to get it running, then take it apart and fix all the unseen issues. Like replacing all the wiring and other hacked in things, but im not finding them. The 3A was filled with them, ended up being a complete rebuild. The more i look at the 3b, its good, all the claimed work is legit, it needs a tune up, but is running and driving pretty good. I even like the faded primer with a little surface rust starting look. I think im going to see how the rims look white, get another 8274 or belliview for it, toss a lockright in the rear and leave it as it is. Hell, the heat even works

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Scored some more "retro" for the 3b, I good working Warn Belleview, should clean up nicely, just need to find some controls. I also cut the big ass brush guard of the bumper, I still need to shorten the ends a bit, but I think I'll use it.

Found some more good and bad in the Willys too, the bad is the Transfer case leaks like a bastard, so that's going to need some work. The good, is I found it has a dual master conversion already.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Scored some more "retro" for the 3b, I good working Warn Belleview, should clean up nicely, just need to find some controls. I also cut the big ass brush guard of the bumper, I still need to shorten the ends a bit, but I think I'll use it.

Found some more good and bad in the Willys too, the bad is the Transfer case leaks like a bastard, so that's going to need some work. The good, is I found it has a dual master conversion already.
son of a ..... :) Nice score! Herm still sells the cables/controls.

I had two of those at one point. Sold them a while back. There are so many cool vintage parts I've let go over the years. Oh well.

I am working on an vintage 8274. I think i have the owner finally convinced to let it go....We'll see. If not the M8000 will go on eventually.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Im hopping to pick up another one this weekend that should have controls with it. It kills me to get rid of stuff, but there is just not enough room, im just getting rid of YJ stuff that is now 25 years old, to make room for WILLY stuff....im sure next year i will be looking for that YJ stuff

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I've got an old 5687, no controlls, and the cast aluminum lever on the side has broken in 3 pieces. I believe the winch works though, I'll have to hit Herm and see if he has parts for it!

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Well my best intentions were to keep this 3B as close to stock as possible, and i was just about to get working on it. I was went to install a lock right in the rear stock axle and found the axle is beat, not worth the effort to rebuild. So i i could have looked at one of the other stock 44's i has laying around, but all would take some rebuilding. So i figured i search for a flanged offset 44, but while looking i found a buddy how had a custom offset 44, OX locker, alloy shafts, explorer disks, 4:27,s hardly used that i could get real cheap. just needs to be narrowed to match the front.

So with all the beef out back and the effort of cutting it to match the front, it didnt make sense to leave the 25 in front, so i found a good NT dana 30 with disks on it, ready to go. i Will be adding a OX locker and alloy shafts to that.

With those upgrades, i thing i need to do the steering, and lose the Ross box, thinking of using advanced adapters manual box kit for it.

Tires will be 32"9.5 swampers on CJ slots. Still planning on keeping the drivetrain mostly stock, maybe a t98 down the road.

Warn Belliview going on the front, the Preimer welder i have from an old project is going in this, and an OBA setup, Minimal cage, stock seats in front, Conferr storage seat out back

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
so much for stock...LOL the rear is a 44, 5:38s OX locker alloy shafts, im putting an OX locker in the front 30 with some alloy shafts as well. I picked my CJ slots, i also grabbed this tranny tcase combo for cheap. i always thought the dana 18 with the 1.25 shaft was the one to grab if you found one, with an OD was a bonus. The tranny is a t14. Im pretty set on leaving the fhead in there. Now i need a granny low 4 speed. I thought this dana 18 would mate to a T98 if i could find one. Now not sure, need a little more research or guidance.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
The alloy shafts and locker showed up for the front axle, so we can get going on that.

Started on the rear axle to, and found it has 33 spline 1.5" alloy shafts, dont think they will even notice my little 33" tires...

41 - 60 of 101 Posts