Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my hands on a 360 from a 85 grand wagoneer. My 78 cj5 has a 304 in it now. I plan on tearing it down and rebuilding the 360. My question is what will I need to do to bolt the 360 which came from a auto trans to a manual. Will the stock engine mount location on the cj fit the 360? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I did a similar swap in my CJ6. The outside of the 360 shares the same dimensions as your 304, so if the 304 fit, so will the 360. In fact, most of the stuff on your 304 will bolt onto the 360. I stole the entire top end, edelbrock performer, from my 304 and stuffed it on the 360 when I rebuilt it. Just put in new internals. One thing to keep in mind when doing the swap from auto to manual is that the flywheel on the 360 is specific to that engine. You cannot simply get an amc V8 flywheel and throw it on. A good resource for your parts is Parts Mike. Either go to the web site or give him a call and he can walk you through most of what you need. He will likely have all the parts in stock and any advice that you might need.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yup, just buy a new 360 flywheel and everything else is a direct swap.

The 304 and 360 have the exact same external architecture.

Beleive it or not, the 304 and 360 share the same crank, it's just the internal rotating mass that requires the use of a different offset weight flywheel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good to know

I knew something would be differant. good to know that I can bolt on my intake, headers, and the rest of the parts I baught for the 304 and put it on the 360. save some money for other stuff. I heard it would and looking at it it all loks the same but it's always good to here it from someone else. I have the haynes book for both engines or vehicle so they give most of the specs. :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
Check out BullTear.Com

They are very AMC engine oriented and the forum there can help you with any technical Q's.

Otherwise, good score. You will be happy with the extra power. It might be time to think about what the extra horsepwer will do to your cooling circuit, and be aware that you can now bolt on the EdelBrock heads for your 360. The heads are too much for stock 304's, but perfect for 360, 390, 401.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again

I got the entire wagoneer for 350 dollars. :flipoff2: Guy wasn't going to sale it to me if I was going to part it out. What he dosen't know want hurt him. Anyway I got my motor. Already listing light on ebay. My wife does that stuff for me. This guy had really fawked up all of the wiring. I don't know what the hell he was trying to do. :confused: Said it had some kind of short because he came out and it would not run after just working. Sounds to me like an ignition module so he decided to take it upon himself to rewire it and than gave up. Well thanks for the input I have already looked at the heads from edelbrock and a cuple carbs. I got there 2005 catalog. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On ebay

We put the front fog lights, turn signals, door handles, front marker lights, if you need anything off of it go to Jeep CJ-5 grill cover stainless steel and click on are other itams for sell :D If it is not there E-mail me at [email protected]. We can work something out if you need a oart

·
Registered
22 Posts
ya, i'm doing the same swap with my CJ7. i bought an '88 wagoneer for $480 CDN, drove it home, smoked off the tires then parted it out. to pull the motor i just cut off the fenders and bumper with the sawzall and pulled it straight out. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts