Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is in the wrong place move it.

I need help with this as I am not too knowledgable on jeeps. I am building a `69 CJ5 for a friend. It has a V6 and a 3sp. I will be building it for all around wheeling. I was thinking a 4/5speed, soa, shackle rev., stretch out the wb by about 10inches, and run a set of waggy axles with 35inch tires. Is this a good idea?

I found a `78 J10 truck for parts. It has a 6cylinder-4speed-discs up front for $500. It this a quada trac year and a good source for parts? Is quada trac full time four drive? If it is a quad is there a part time transfer case that would swap in with out too much trouble? We will use as much of the parts as possible (kinda low budget build). The V6 will stay but I should be able to use the 4speed. Thanks for the help! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
As far as a part time transfer case that will swap with a quad there is the Dana/Spicer 18. I swapped out the Quad on my 78 CJ7, 304, TH400 with a Dana 18 I got out of a IH Scout 80. Novak Adapters can hook you up with the adapter to bolt it to your trans.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
jedrattle said:
If this is in the wrong place move it.

I need help with this as I am not too knowledgable on jeeps. I am building a `69 CJ5 for a friend. It has a V6 and a 3sp. I will be building it for all around wheeling. I was thinking a 4/5speed, soa, shackle rev., stretch out the wb by about 10inches, and run a set of waggy axles with 35inch tires. Is this a good idea?

I found a `78 J10 truck for parts. It has a 6cylinder-4speed-discs up front for $500. It this a quada trac year and a good source for parts? Is quada trac full time four drive? If it is a quad is there a part time transfer case that would swap in with out too much trouble? We will use as much of the parts as possible (kinda low budget build). The V6 will stay but I should be able to use the 4speed. Thanks for the help! :D

If the J10 has a 4sp manual trans and a Quadra-Trac it's NOT stock.
The Quadra-Trac ONLY came behind the TH400 auto from the factory.
Question .......................

1. Is the raer differential offset to the passenger side just like the front differential?

My suggestions..............

Use the V6 in the Cj5, it's good little motor. Mate an SM420 to the present
bellhousing. The bellhousing only requires minor mods, read no adapter needed.
If the rear diff from the J10's offset, put a D18 T-case behind the SM420. If
it's not offset, put a D300 behing the SM420.

SM420 trans.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/sm420.htm

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses so far!

I haven't seen the J10..yet...it's 80+miles away. One thing I didn't think about was the offset rear. Will this pose a problem or just move hangers around since we want to stretch out the wb anyways? Or is the offset too much for the CJ? We want to use as much as possble off the J10. I will see it (J10) in the next couple of days. Was I thinking correctly about the set up for this CJ (soa, shackle rev., etc. etc.)?

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
jedrattle said:
Thanks for the responses so far!

I haven't seen the J10..yet...it's 80+miles away. One thing I didn't think about was the offset rear. Will this pose a problem or just move hangers around since we want to stretch out the wb anyways? Or is the offset too much for the CJ? We want to use as much as possble off the J10. I will see it (J10) in the next couple of days. Was I thinking correctly about the set up for this CJ (soa, shackle rev., etc. etc.)?

Your CJ5 already has a D18 T-case and an offset rear axle. SOA and a stretched
wheelbase on full width J10 axles will be fine. IMO, box the CJ5 frame though,
cause those old frames have a tendancy to crack.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SanDiegoCJ said:
Your CJ5 already has a D18 T-case and an offset rear axle. SOA and a stretched
wheelbase on full width J10 axles will be fine. IMO, box the CJ5 frame though,
cause those old frames have a tendancy to crack.

Boxing and full cage was in the plan as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
jedrattle said:
Boxing and full cage was in the plan as well. Thanks!
Glad to hear that, safety items First! Cage & Brakes! Power Steering is good too.

Lots of ways to go but if your keeping the V-6, I like the SM420 previously mentioned. If you go with an AMC power plant, I like the T-18 & Dana 300.

"The Heep" 73 Commando, 258 I-6, T-18, Scout Dana 300, SOA, PS, Thru-dash Cage, Alcans, OBA, ARB's, Ft disc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SanDiegoCJ said:
If the J10 has a 4sp manual trans and a Quadra-Trac it's NOT stock.
The Quadra-Trac ONLY came behind the TH400 auto from the factory.
Like he said, it wouldn't be original if it was 4 speed and Quadra-Trac, would have taken more work than it was worth to do that conversion.

Yes, that was a QT year for the automatics. The sticks came with a D20 transfer case from the factory. If that transmission is original and really is a 4 speed, it would be a T-18. Pretty scarce tranny since there weren't a ton of them behind 6 cylinders which have a different bellhousing and input shaft, IIRC, than the V8 versions.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. We haven't made it down there to get the J10 yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts