Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search ...Read about frame boxing ...gonna build my own cause it sounds way easier.
Who's got a cad or solidworks file for a CJ5 frame?
If you have one for a stretched CJ5 I would love to see that too.
I was gonna use this as a DD but I got a 2nd car now and my garage is calling for a winter project (winter= :flipoff2: ).
I am planning on adding 10-12" of wheelbase and coils in the rear..maybe coils.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
You can make the wheelbase as long as you want and yes making a frame is easyer than boxing one. 2x4x.120 is what I used and has worked fine for the last 5 yrs no cracks or bent parts yet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have this frame in a solidworks file, but it is for a streched cj7. I don't know if it will help. If you need it, let me know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts
66CJdean said:
You can make the wheelbase as long as you want and yes making a frame is easyer than boxing one. 2x4x.120 is what I used and has worked fine for the last 5 yrs no cracks or bent parts yet.

Dean, what's the reason for the long rear overhang ?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Terranaut -

Stanton's frame looks bitchen (as do the others posted), consider one of those if you can do sweet fab work. I shot you my simple-ass model via email. It looks like the one in the image. Cool thing about it is that I also made the Waggy 7-leafs under load so I could accurately space shite. [edit] mine's set up for a 92-96" WB, depending on orientation of the Waggy springs.

Good call on making your own frame ~ you won't be dissappointed.

BTW -
I also left my frame really long when I made it originally as well, by like a foot or more on each end. Idid this mainly to aid in good alignment, as well as having a removable place for my first welds. Plus it gave me good working benchtops fore and aft during construction of the rig. When I was ready, I cut off the crappy newbie welds and had a normal-length, less-boogery welded frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just an FYI, most of the dims you need are in the back of a Chilton's manual you can get at the parts store. These drawings are for a stock frame but give a good starting point.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
stanton77 said:
I have this frame in a solidworks file, but it is for a streched cj7. I don't know if it will help. If you need it, let me know.
Stanton77 I would like the file also if I could.
peter.hope AT us.army.mil
Thanks a bunch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts