Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did all cj5s come with tailgates? i thought the did but the last couple i have looked at have and a full back and no these werent fiberglass bodies either. do people do this or was it an option

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
not all CJ5's came with tailgates. I couldn't tell you what years did & didn't but it may have switched from having a gate to not having one when Jeep was sold to AMC?????? Also the old m38's had no gate

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
both my 82 and 83 had no rear talegate.

I believe it may have been an option... like doors and a passenger seat :laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
At one time i was told the CJ5 between 72-81 did not come with tailgates if they were factory original with V-8s.

I also recall there also was a specific package on the later ones that delegated no tailgate vs all other models but i cant remember totally 80-83 i heard they were trying to empty out inventory since they were discontinuing so anything is possible then

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My '62 came with one that says Willys on it. it's not on there now, it's holding the side wall of the garage down

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how much work would it be to put a tail gate in? i like the looks of them better then the flat backs. i found a golden eagle in running condition and a good body for $1k. but i hate the fact that it doesnt have a tail gate. it does come with a rear tire mount so that might cover it up but it just doesnt seem practical without the tail gate.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
tailgates

Basically from what I've seen civilian model of Jeeps had tailgates. In the later years 70's/80's I noticed the better model(Golden Eagle, Renegade, etc) in the CJ-5 not having tailgates, but the bone stock CJ-5 (the one with no options) would. As for the CJ-7's I haven't seen one without a tailgate. These would all be spoken of with an original steel body not fibergalss. This was just my .02. :beer: cheers!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
got your pm on this, your box is full

the tailgate is 36" wide, basically you cut right next to the inside of the rear fenders

Classic Enterprises has the weld in piece that goes around the raw steel (basically just angle iron welded to form a C) You'll have to make the chain bracket.

Conversion was easy

(and mine was a no options 76 and it was tailgateless)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts